Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVL Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    It's still hilarious that "closing day" is defined as "when private boats couldn't launch anymore." Just like last time. The most amazing days I've had on that body of water is when private boaters could no longer launch, go figure.

The day I give a eulogy for the Diamond is the day the gates close for good, so no shore fisherman nor rental angler can access the lake.

Until then, it may be time to put away the fly rods for a while and take advantage of an "open" DVL, because the last time it was "closed," it was the most amazing year of bass fishing I had encountered.

I'm sure Rod could attest to that.
    Yes indeed i can attest. Ive already done the 20 questions game with the lake staff on rental fees, half price wednesday, and the 10 punch free rental. But what worries me is the consequences of an additional 44 feet drawdown. That is gonna be interesting

10 punch free rental??? Didn't know that! That's all I do is fish from a rental there.
    BTW folks, fishing from a rental will make you an even better angler and boat operator. I speak from experience after hopping on a friends Triton after renting for so long.

When the trolling motor models are gone and it's just the basic boats left, you got to plan your drifts and boat positioning way in advance to not run the spot over or run aground. It can get a little stressful if windy.

Did I miss something? Did someone die?

j/k

Damn that Matts a stud!

Stormcrow - " Remember when you could post up on one of the huge number of giant bait-balls located all over DVL and drop an ice jig down and catch a dozen fish both stripers and LMB in 30 mins?"

Yes, yes I do. :(

I remember Ian with an ice-jig... :)

Now your getting nostalgiv, local

Quote Originally Posted by DVL_Local View Post
    Did I miss something? Did someone die?

j/k

Damn that Matts a stud!

Stormcrow - " Remember when you could post up on one of the huge number of giant bait-balls located all over DVL and drop an ice jig down and catch a dozen fish both stripers and LMB in 30 mins?"

Yes, yes I do. :(

I remember Ian with an ice-jig... :)

Those graph pics are getting me horny....

Cool thread Matt! Like always, you are always one to look at the glass half full as opposed to half empty. I appreciate your outlook on things about DVL and fishing in general......you always keep it positive!

The lake is fishing excellent right now and with water coming back in, in the future, will be straight SILLY! Definitely have some things planned in the mean time ;) All you guys better stay away. Nothing to see over here on Diamond. Haven't you all heard that the hike is treacherous.... Ha Ha.

Any trout fishing still being done. They used to get beauties out of there. I caught some on TO's boat. Did the G Brown project die?

I agree 100% that over the last year the lake has been making a good recovery. The health of the fish are so much better than compared to a couple of years ago when we were catching fish with giant heads and with skinny and greyish colored bodies. I should mention that the Smallie bite has been fantastic this year as well. I also agree that this lake also separated the men from the boys. That's what drew us to the lake. A challenge rather than a guaranteed catch, and having been fishing these other mud puddles since the ramp closure, it's like ok boys get in line for the merry go round, and go round and round and round. I love the solitude and variety we got from DVL, countless days of fishing and only seeing a boat on the other side of the lake a mile or two away. There was a Friday late last fall where Bill and I showed up at what we thought was late only to find the gate closed and no one in line. We thought something happened and the lake had closed. When the gate did open, we were still the only ones in line. We launched and had the lake completely to ourselves for nearly two hours when a few others finally started to show up. Turned out to be a great day with many fish caught.

Unfortunately, the starter blew up in the merc at 11:30am the Tuesday a week before before closing, we had planned to fish the lake a couple of more times before the ramp closure but it was not to be, gahh that sucked! Got the new starter online for $85.00 shipped as opposed to $235-$265 just for the part locally, but it didn't arrive until Tuesday afternoon the day before closing. But that short day was a good one and was getting better as the day progressed.

Hope it's ok with you but I'd like to post a few pics of the fish I caught on that last day prior to our breakdown, nothing huge but healthy never the less;

And the gem of the short day

Thanks again to the DVL staff and thanks to you Matt and Last Chance B&T for all you guys do to keep us supplied with relevant info and gear...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 04-26-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Geeze what happened to your HAIR Pat, you didn't tell me you were doin' chemo. WTH, are tryin' to be a Bako Boy now that DVL is closed to private boaters or is that a form of protest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast