Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Lowrance HDI Elite 7 Problems

Default Lowrance HDI Elite 7 Problems

Finally installed unit after 5 months & tested today. Issues--
    1. Depth& side scan d/ n work. GPS & water temp does. I used the same transducer drill holes of my old unit. I guess the angle isn't right
    2. My boat's instrument cluster gauges don't work. AllI did was ran wires for new unit & tapped into the wiring for new unit. Hope its not something serious.
    Any feedback would be appreciated

MM

First thing I'd recommend is to definitely run a dedicated power and ground line directly from your battery to your fishfinder. Bypass the instrument console completely. And use at least 16 gauge wire. Only thing between your battery and you unit should be an in-line fuse.

If you post pictures (straight on, and side views) of your transducer, perhaps we can look at the alignment and possible interference issues. But regardless of the transducer position, the fact that you can't even get depth says that it's probably something else going on.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    Finally installed unit after 5 months & tested today. Issues--
    1. Depth& side scan d/ n work. GPS & water temp does. I used the same transducer drill holes of my old unit. I guess the angle isn't right
    2. My boat's instrument cluster gauges don't work. AllI did was ran wires for new unit & tapped into the wiring for new unit. Hope its not something serious.
    Any feedback would be appreciated

MM
    1st Im not sure that your talking abought the 7 hdi because there,s NO side scan options for that model that I know of.

IF its a diferent model lowrance that you have< 7 hds> OR if you meant 2 D and Down imaging Try and make sure that on the initial setup mode that you chose the Correct transducer setting,,,

If you chose the 83/200 only Or the 50/200 only instead of the 83/200 400/800 your unit might NOT work properly

Just make sure that the choice that you choose is correct for the transducer that you have.

TRAIL BLAZER

Trailblazer--my bad..meant down imaging...will check settings.

Shinbob--here are pix: Any idea why my gauges are going wacky? I disconnected the unit but the fuel gauge says full when it's 1/4 tank, the speedometer reads zero & the motor tilt d/n works. Hope I didn't damage anything

URL=http://s1071.photobucket.com/user/marcsee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150418_162236_zpszl5zduct.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://s1071.photobucket.com/user/marcsee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150418_162203_zpsvwhkczgh.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://s1071.photobucket.com/user/marcsee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150418_162025_zpso7agdrex.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited by MarkyMark; 04-18-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: more

Your transducer position looks pretty much just fine, especially for a non-side scan unit. You should be getting decent readings at rest, if not on plane.

I had similar problems when I first got my boat - it had gone through a few owners and the electrical system was, well, "interesting" to say the least. My problems were similar to yours, i.e. the tilt/trim worked only intermittently, and the tachometer was stuck at 1000 rpm. Plus my fishfinder would act strangely, turn off for no reason, and there was interference on the screen.

I had to just spend a day on my back underneath the instrument console with a multimeter going through the whole system. It looked like spaghetti underneath there. I'd start with where the battery comes into the fuse box, make sure that's good, then work out from there checking each fuse and wire. I'd label each pair after I checked it out to make sure I didn't work in circles. In my case, it was a bunch of bad splices (wires twisted together and sealed with electrical tape) that I replaced with crimped heatshrinked connectors.

And adding the dedicated wiring for the fishfinder solved my problems there as well.

I have basicly the same unit,,,

It appears to me from the pics that you DO have the XDucer that I have,,the 83/200 455/800,

Go back to this screen

and pic the xducer again just to be sure
    LOWRANCE ACCESSORIES
    SALE

Lowrance Elite 5 and 7 HDI Sonar Settings On October 23, 2013

Freshwater Settings

Sonar Menu

Sonar Settings

Transducer Selection

Select HDI 83/200 455/800 for the freshwater HDI transducer. This is the most common transducer sold with the Elite HDI.

HDI Transducer Selection

83/200 455/800 is for freshwater
    50/200 455/800 is for saltwater
    83/200 freshwater
    50/200 saltwater

Click here to view the Elite HDS

Then make sure that the STOP SONAR box does NOT have a X in it= VERRY VERRY important

TRAIL BLAZER
    Last edited by trail blazer; 04-19-2015 at 09:48 AM.

As far as your speedo,,,,,,,,,,,,,How was the water speed senced,,,,,,,,,,through a tube in the lower unit of your motor? OR with a plastic keel/vacume sensor off the transom of the boat?
    Or a transom wheel sensor?

Although you will have accurate speed with your sonar unit.

TRAIL BLAZER
    Last edited by trail blazer; 04-19-2015 at 09:46 AM.

Update-- TB you hit the nail on the head! The 'stop scan' box was checked! Unchecked it and bam! Images!
    Now onto other problems

MM

Glad it work,d out for you bro.

Imo you need to lower your xducer a bit also,,,maby just the pic but the horizontal center plane looks a bit above the bottom of the boat,, if so that would cause problems at anything above 3 or 4 mph..

Good luck with that unit

TRAIL BLAZER