Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SB report

Default SB report

I’ve been following this forum for a while now. While I haven’t had much to contribute until now, I really appreciate all of the information and advice everyone provides.

So yesterday a buddy and I got up early and headed to one of our favorite spots in Santa Barbara with LC 110s. After about 2-3 hours without success (with the exception of foul-hooking a shovelnose) we had all but given up when I got a strong bite. It immediately starting peeling line and my rod was bent in half. Because it felt so heavy, I figured I’d probably hooked into a large bat ray. I was able to start pulling it in after it’s initial run but anytime it saw the shore it took off again. We went back and forth like this about a dozen times until I got it close enough to see that it was not a bat ray and actually a huge halibut. It had one more run after I spotted it and I finally got it close enough for my friend to yank it out of the water.

My first legal halibut! I’ve been chasing one for the past few years and couldn’t be more stoked. The stats were 31 inches, 12 pounds!!!

Thanks again for all of the info on this site especially from the SWAT guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halibut.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	46093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halibut1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	46094  

Oh yeah !!!! That's what I'm talking about! Congrats on your first legal on the sand ! That is one good looking bad boy sir .Or should I say bad girl!

Wow! That's awsome! Congrats.

Hey Halibitesb

Good effort on not giving up. You were rewarded with a very respectable first halibut. I am looking forward to your next fishing adventure.

Take care,

Nick

Hi ya Halibitesb,

"Congratulations" on your first and monstrous legal 31" Halibut from the surf, using an LC. WTG!

Which color and pattern were you tossing at em today? What was the tide height at time of capture?
    Many times I've landed some of my very best PB's with that one more cast after my spirit had said enough!

Your determination not to quit paid off in legal Halibut.

Thanx for the fish report with pic's! Keep them reports a coming!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 04-20-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: SP

Great opening act! First legal, first post, first 30 plus! Way to er done with style!

Congrats!!!!!
    Don

Beautiful catch.....Well done there!

A little tip for the future. The background in your pic is "Tell All" when it comes to your "Favorite Spot". I haven't hit that area for quite some time but I can tell EXACTLY where you are standing. The local boyz are gonna deplete your elbow room quickly for sure....LOL
    In the future you might want to kneel down and only show sand and water in your pics if you want breathing room.

Thanks for the superb report from beautiful Santa Barby!

Mike

Thanks SP Dan!

I was throwing the Zebra MS Ghost Minnow on an incoming tide at about 4.5 ft. The water clarity was great and I could see a good amount of bait fish cruising around.

I went back the next day at the same time but didn't have any luck. Oh well, I'm still pumped up from the catch!

Adam

Thanks Mike.

I thought about that as soon as I posted the pics...haha. Oh well, I've learned something.

I appreciate the pointer.

Adam

Wow! I can't wait for you to you best that effort, amazing....

Great job!!!!

Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast