Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The drought !

Default The drought !

Are ya going to cut way back on your lawn watering? I have and so have my neighbors, sure hate to see my lawn go brown but it has to be. I always had a nice green lawn to enjoy. Well I guess I wont be mowing as much this summer, heck I liked mowing it and making it look nice.

Yes me too. I had total knee replacement in August and had to sell my gardening/landscape business. The surgeon strongly recommended I get out of that business so my new knee would last longer. Now with these water restriction a lot of people will not want weekly service for their yards, so I guess it was good timing on that surgery.

I have mixed feeling about any cut back of water use. I have 1.59 acres of property and have cut back water use to the .5 landscaped acres around my home. My 21 tree fruit orchard has been removed except one only Apricot tree. Lost two 30 year old pine trees out of the nine that are on my property due to the drought and pine bark beetles last summer. I cut my water use by over 30% last year and do not plan to reduce it any further. I live in a very high fire hazard area and I want/need a green belt for fire protection. I have been through several major fires during my time living here and the green belt and fire protection measures I have is why my house is standing. This summer and fall is going to be a fire tinder box.

Don't blame ya keep it watered, I know how Devore can be.

I have mowed down and sprayed Roundup on roughly 1 acre of my property for water saving and fire protection. In the upper right of the photo are the two pines that were killed that I will be cutting down in the next few weeks, free firewood for someone. The home is surrounded by a green belt and area around my workshop is clear of vegetation.

Roundup poisons the soil! One thing you could've done to get more milage out of your watering devo is to mulch your trees. And I mean mulch the hell out of it. Woodchips really lock moisture into the ground.

No need to mulch pine trees as they constantly shed needles and it not unusual to average 6" depth of needles under the trees. Rake back the needles and the soil is always damp under the needles. I also would get two dump truck loads of mulch every year delivered. And I much prefer Roundup to the Weed Oil that was used for many years for weed control. Use to buy weed oil during the 1970's (a mixture of used motor oil and diesel fuel) from the County Ag dept, County road dept sprayed all of the road right of ways with it.

Growing up in the orchards around Fillmore, I've sprayed weed oil, paraquat, Roundup, etc. I've not heard that Roundup affects soil, but it's been a while since my weed spraying days.

John

If your old enough do you remember "Smudge Pots". Used to get side work in high school lighting them late at night in the citrus orchards when a freeze was forecast. While the minimum wage was $1.25 an hour Ag work paid .75 cent an hour and it wasn't illegals doing the work either. No complaints as a teenager gas was .25 cents a gallon and McDonalds for under a dollar could feed ya (hamburgers .15 and fries and a Coke .10 each). Oh and the drive-in movie was only a dollar for a car load. I have sprayed Roundup and waited a week and then planted a garden and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    If your old enough do you remember "Smudge Pots". Used to get side work in high school lighting them late at night in the citrus orchards when a freeze was forecast. While the minimum wage was $1.25 an hour Ag work paid .75 cent an hour and it wasn't illegals doing the work either. No complaints as a teenager gas was .25 cents a gallon and McDonalds for under a dollar could feed ya (hamburgers .15 and fries and a Coke .10 each). Oh and the drive-in movie was only a dollar for a car load. I have sprayed Roundup and waited a week and then planted a garden and never had a problem.
    Yes, lighting smudge pots was one of the first jobs you could actually be hired for before you were 16 years old. The entire Santa Clara River valley had a thick layer of smoke above it on the days after the smudge pots were fired up. Pretty surreal scene to see all the fires going within the orchards.

We had a bracero camp just down the road from our house. It stayed vacant most the year until they brought workers up from Mexico to harvest the citrus.

John

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast