Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The drought !

I have cut back, but you can still water your lawn. Most people water their lawn far too much and most of the water runs off as waste. Your lawn doesn't have to go brown. Here are some tips:

Set your timers to 1 minute every 2 days.
    Set the watering time to 1 hour before dawn....right now thats like 5:15....OR right after sunset... like about 8:00

These are opportune times when water wont evaporate and increases the take up rate. Also, Aerate your lawn with a core roller. This helps too and I do it once every 18 months... I plan on keeping my lawn green with just 1 minute of water every 2 days all summer long.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I have mowed down and sprayed Roundup on roughly 1 acre of my property for water saving and fire protection. In the upper right of the photo are the two pines that were killed that I will be cutting down in the next few weeks, free firewood for someone. The home is surrounded by a green belt and area around my workshop is clear of vegetation.

Is that LQ I see hiding in the bushes up top?

I'm siphoning water from Lincoln Park to water my almond trees and alfalfa pastures.

I hear it's a very popular practice up north.

Plus, now LQ has something to drink in the backyard.

80% of water goes to agriculture which is roughly 5% of Californias GDP....... make sense!

Quote Originally Posted by gogreeenz4 View Post
    80% of water goes to agriculture which is roughly 5% of Californias GDP....... make sense!
    But those numbers are wrong, GoGreenz, according to our resident economist/dry wall installer on the board:

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    Not so fast. What they fail to tell you is how much of the economy spins off that agriculture. Sure, the vegetables, fruits and almonds may bring in 50 billion $$$ of and by themselves, but what about the trucking? The shipping? The ports? The dockworkers? Gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, housing, construction and all it's related trades, city and town workers, county workers, mechanics, teachers, cops, firefighters etc. etc. ect. Most San Joaquin Valley towns, cities and counties are all support for agriculture. And those add up to far more than 50 billion $$$.

Leftists never tell the whole story and always spin when they think they can get away with it. Jonathan Gruber said something about that...

So yeah, as our resident Adam Smith said, that 5% is really about 5.2%, because there's lots of farming equipment, club sandwiches, Coors Light and Carhartt overalls that these farmers have to buy which trickle down into the economy.

Now, you may ask, 'What about the other farmers whose crops don't need so much water to grow? Doesn't the growing of their crops also contribute to more than just the products they sell, just like the ones who decided it was a good idea to grow thirsty crops in the desert? Don't they also contribute to the trucking? The shipping? The ports? The dockworkers? Gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, housing, construction and all it's related trades, city and town workers, county workers, mechanics, teachers, cops, firefighters etc. etc. etc [sic]."

Perhaps our resident Adam Smith can also answer that one for us too.

I wonder how much water alfalfa and other livestock feed crops use up. Or cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    I wonder how much water alfalfa and other livestock feed crops use up. Or cotton.
    Who cares how much water the use!! Do you realize that the livestock roam around and crap all over the stream bed and destroy it?

But guess what? That enables the shoe salesman to sell more shoes because once you step on a fresh mud pie, you can't get that stink off. So in turn, you go around and buy new shoes, thus stimulating the economy! You then need to go to Kmart to get soap to wash off the stink, thus further stimulating the economy. The person at Kmart gets paid, so they go and get a thick steak for dinner, made from the cow who crapped on the ground, who some guy stepped on, who then bought new pairs of shoes and soap from Kmart.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Who cares how much water the use!! Do you realize that the livestock roam around and crap all over the stream bed and destroy it?

But guess what? That enables the shoe salesman to sell more shoes because once you step on a fresh mud pie, you can't get that stink off. So in turn, you go around and buy new shoes, thus stimulating the economy! You then need to go to Kmart to get soap to wash off the stink, thus further stimulating the economy. The person at Kmart gets paid, so they go and get a thick steak for dinner, made from the cow who crapped on the ground, who some guy stepped on, who then bought new pairs of shoes and soap from Kmart.
    As the world turns in the days of our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I have cut back, but you can still water your lawn. Most people water their lawn far too much and most of the water runs off as waste. Your lawn doesn't have to go brown. Here are some tips:

Set your timers to 1 minute every 2 days.
    Set the watering time to 1 hour before dawn....right now thats like 5:15....OR right after sunset... like about 8:00

These are opportune times when water wont evaporate and increases the take up rate. Also, Aerate your lawn with a core roller. This helps too and I do it once every 18 months... I plan on keeping my lawn green with just 1 minute of water every 2 days all summer long.
    Thanks Crow I do the same just about for my lawn I love my drip watering system, I have four of these battery powered timers for my plants and small vegetable garden.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	46114

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    But those numbers are wrong, GoGreenz, according to our resident economist/dry wall installer on the board:

So yeah, as our resident Adam Smith said, that 5% is really about 5.2%, because there's lots of farming equipment, club sandwiches, Coors Light and Carhartt overalls that these farmers have to buy which trickle down into the economy.

Now, you may ask, 'What about the other farmers whose crops don't need so much water to grow? Doesn't the growing of their crops also contribute to more than just the products they sell, just like the ones who decided it was a good idea to grow thirsty crops in the desert? Don't they also contribute to the trucking? The shipping? The ports? The dockworkers? Gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, housing, construction and all it's related trades, city and town workers, county workers, mechanics, teachers, cops, firefighters etc. etc. etc [sic]."

Perhaps our resident Adam Smith can also answer that one for us too.
    Why must you spin and lie in order to discredit, facts are facts. You want to keep pushing that percentage and continue to leave out the fact that the entire valley's economy is based on agriculture. I spelled it out for you and you still ignorantly choose to minimize the economic damage that could occur to the entire valley and state, not just the farms.

Drywaller? Where did you get that little tidbit of false info? Sure I do drywall, but I also build anything from commercial to residential buildings from offsite's to the finish of the structure itself. Again, you spin and lie to attempt to make yourself relevant.

Lol, seems I'm in your head dude, you've been making attempts to draw me into your irrelevance all over these threads, poor baby...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast