Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Havasu Report 4/9 - 4/12

Default Havasu Report 4/9 - 4/12

Hit Site Six launch about midnight on Thursday, slept in the truck till around 4:00 am. On my way to the bathroom still half asleep I tripped on the curb and down I went. Made it to the bathroom with Two Bloody Knee caps. So Now I am awake and my buddy and I get things ready to launch. It was Still pretty dark so we headed across the lake and started
    fishing. I was throwing a Chatterbait with a Lake Fork Live Minnow, my buddy was throwing a SwimJig. Fished for about a
    half hour for nada, as it was barely starting to get light we came around a point and I got slammed on my bait but he shook
    loose. Fished a bit further into the cove and my buddy hooks up with a Nice 5 pound Largie, biggest fish of the trip. Next I hook up with a good 3 pound Smallie Game On ! We get back into the beach part of the cove and my buddy switches to his Top Secret bait and just as it hits the water Bam he is on with a 41/4 Smallie. I change up to a Wacky rigged Senko and get nailed with another good 3 pound Smallie. We stayed and fished the spot a bit longer for a few shorts. Than I had the Bright Idea to run Up river and try Pitch for some fish in the tules. Bottom line is if you Don't know the area forget About IT!
    Takes to long to run up there with the shallow water. The guys flying up the River have it plotted on there GPS. Long story short we caught a have DZ shorts up there and we wasted about 21/2 hours doing it. We finally get back to the main lake and start fishing points, my buddy was using DS and I was using the senko. We had a good pick of fish pretty much every where we fished. Around Noon the sun was high and it got hot, and the Bite just shut off. So now was the time to Try something New, my buddy was watching a episode of the IN - Fisherman where AL Linder was fishing Havasu early this year with
    a Blk 1/8 Marabou Jig, I on the other hand found a You Tube Vid of Bill Siemantel fishing a Phat Fly. So game on lets see who's bait worked the best. We were looking for canyon walls that were more up and down. You throw the bait on 4# and twitch it from ledge to ledge. We Both hooked up right away and had a good pick of smaller size smallies to help us get though the slow part of the day. Around 2ish the breeze picked up and so did the bite as we went around and picked up keeper fish till around 7:30 when we called it a day. We caught and released around 30 fish for the two of us , with the Bigger fish coming early AM. Ok Day Two Saturday morning Up early and on the Lake at 5:00AM I wanted to make a run in the Dark to a spot I know, but my buddy didn't feel comfortable with doing that in the Dark ,Safety First. So we went to the spot the day before hoping some big fish would be waiting again for us. Well No big fish but some very nice keeper Smallies on Cranks and Chatterbait. Getting a little lighter out time to make the run to My Spot, hit just around 6:00 my buddy is cranking up front and gets hit first cast, fish pulls loose, I get Slammed on the chatterbait nice 3pound Largie, my buddy gets hit two more Times but cant get them to stick. Finally he hooks up with a nice 3 pound Smallie the Bite was Fast and Furious for about 10 minutes for about 5 nice fish than it dies ? Should we have been there earlier ? We fished till noon only, as it was a lot hotter than the day before with a good pick of fish Next to Big Rocks in about 12ft of water on the DS and Senko. All and all a fair bite for about 7 fish apiece but a lot of boat traffic and at least two tournaments that I knew of. So over Dinner at Cha Bone ( Must Visit if you Like Steak ) we Deciced to take a GAMBLE, to get up at 2:30 AM Sunday Morning and Make the run over to my Hot Spot and fish it till 6:30Am than leave for home. Was on the spot at 3:40 and started catching fish on the Cranks and Chatterbait. Good 2 and 3 pound fish. The bite was not fast , but steady till around
    6:00 for 8 nice Keeper fish. All in All a very nice time !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_15511.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	46088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_15531.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	46089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_15541.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	46090  

When you go up river stay on the Calif. side they have it marked good with bouys, still the first time you run thru it go slow when you know the path it is all good then. when you know the path you can just trim up a little and go 3ft. of water is norm in some places even running in the center of the river. Run up river with a 19ft. inboard all the time no troubles is still a little scary in the dark thou... Nice fish.

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I love that place.