Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about line twisting problems

Default Question about line twisting problems

I just had two different spools wound at Ken's in Bport (I believe they said it was Maxima super limp). The both twisted up in the first few casts ... and then problems most of the day. Could it be both reels have a problem ... and what? Would the split shots with the ears on them cause the twisting? My drag was only barely loose enough and I didn't fight a lot of fish that broke the drag. I've started closing the bail manually after casting as someone told me that can cause twisting ... didn't matter.

I'm lost ... and would appreciate any suggestions.

affix the line to a solid object and back up and let out as much line as possible 100 feet or so if possible , THEN lock down the spool and back up more and STRETCH the line at a steady pressure at just under the breaking point for 20 seconds or so WHAMMO no more coils.Then untie the line from the solid object and reel up with the line running between your fingers Now your line will be twist free and limp on the reel,,,Yes split shots without the ears are better IMO!

I love maxima line but it always seens to take a set on the spool sooner then other lines IMO! and it always seem,d to be twisted when I first spool,d it on a new reel

If you try this remedy let me know how it works

Hope this helps.

TRAIL BLAZER
    Last edited by trail blazer; 04-12-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I've started closing the bail manually after casting as someone told me that can cause twisting ... didn't matter.
    Closing the bail manually, while a great practice, isn't really to prevent line twist. It's to prevent those little loops from forming on the spool that cause a real mess during casting. But you get those loops usually after you've gotten some line twist.

Removable split shot can definitely cause line twist, as anything else that's not perfectly balanced around the line's axis. Swivels don't help much when you are using very light line (2 or 4lb test). I got so fed up with line twist on my trout rods that I switched to 4lb nanofil and have never been happier. Knots with it can be tricky, though.

You didn't mention if you were trolling or bait fishing, but did mention not doing one of the things that would usually cause line to twist (drag breaking and still winding). Tossing a lure that spins will cause twist from the first spin of the blade or twist of the spoon. Pulling a removable splitshot backthrough the water can, but usually doesn't.
    Having two reels do the same thing is unlikely. Most likely, it was how the line was wound onto the reel. I bet it went on backwards, counter to the twist on the bulk spool; even the pros do it wrong at times. Try stretching it, but you will probably have to replace it. Save yourself the headache and put on new line. Try Ande clear.

I use a swivel all the time seems to help the twisting problems ? But trail blazers thing looks good.
    Last edited by old pudd fisher; 04-12-2015 at 10:29 PM.

I agree with Marley. It sounds like the line was put un incorrectly. I've had good luck getting twist out of line by simply letting the line out of the back of the boat about 100 yards with nothing on it and troll for a couple of minutes. Wind the line in and you should be good to go.

Thanks everybody for the tips ... I'll see what I can do. Appreciate it VERY MUCH

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    affix the line to a solid object and back up and let out as much line as possible 100 feet or so if possible , THEN lock down the spool and back up more and STRETCH the line at a steady pressure at just under the breaking point for 20 seconds or so WHAMMO no more coils.Then untie the line from the solid object and reel up with the line running between your fingers Now your line will be twist free and limp on the reel,,,Yes split shots without the ears are better IMO!

I love maxima line but it always seens to take a set on the spool sooner then other lines IMO! and it always seem,d to be twisted when I first spool,d it on a new reel

If you try this remedy let me know how it works

Hope this helps.

TRAIL BLAZER
    Sounds like somebody has done some fly fishing. This is standard practice to stretch your fly line.
    Last edited by seal; 04-13-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    affix the line to a solid object and back up and let out as much line as possible 100 feet or so if possible , THEN lock down the spool and back up more and STRETCH the line at a steady pressure at just under the breaking point for 20 seconds or so WHAMMO no more coils.
    I think the guy is talking about line twist, and not memory loops.

If you stretch twisted line, it's still twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I think the guy is talking about line twist, and not memory loops.

If you stretch twisted line, it's still twisted.
    I had loops piling up on the spool and the line was pig tailed as it went up through the eyelets ... a bit of both

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast