Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about line twisting problems

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I had loops piling up on the spool and the line was pig tailed as it went up through the eyelets ... a bit of both
    Yeah, that's usually a sign that the person that spooled up the line may have had line that was wound incorrectly on the bulk spool (doubtful) or didn't pay attention to see if the line was twisting as they were spooling your reel.

As someone said, the easiest way to fix this if you have a boat is to drag 100 yards or so behind the boat and let the water tension untwist the line. After 5 minutes or so of dragging it behind the boat, reel it in and you should be set. Make sure you don't have anything tied on to the end of the line, obviously.

If you don't have a boat and you are near a very straight shoreline, you can kinda do the same thing by letting some line out at the water and walking parallel next to the water while letting as much line as as you can in the water as you're walking, while doing sweeping motions with your rod. (I don't recommend this unless you're sure you won't end up snagging miscellaneous crap on the shoreline (rocks, twigs, angler trash), and nicking your line in the process.)

use braid...

Spinning reels twist the line onto the spool. But usually not enough to cause the problems you were having. memory is the main cause of line falling of the spool when its not supposed to but maxima is known for its low memory... seems like a combination of a few things, twist, memory, line maybe too thick for the reel and not tightly wound. Braided line seems impervious to line twist and memory, where as mono is not and most floro is very prone to both.

I set my spool in a few inches of warm water while putting my line onto spinning reels, also stopping every once in awhile and letting slack in the line(while holding the line tight on the spool) to see if the line twists. when it does I turn the spool over. if the line is wound onto a spinning reel with a line winding machine it always gives me more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Sounds like somebody has done some fly fishing. This is standard practice to stretch your line fly line.

Shhhhhhhhhh,,,,lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    use braid...
    probably a good idea. I'm not familiar with braid ... only heard of it. But ... I"m one of the older generation.

I know it's an old thread, but the cause might be your reel. If the line roller is stuck and not rolling as it should, you will always have line twist. If your line roller has a roller bearing it might be rusted and need to be replaced. Also possible that it's a defect on the reel. I've bought some reels before that had problems with line twist, only to find out the line roller isn't rolling at all, and was the cause.
    Last edited by Fish-On!; 07-30-2015 at 08:09 PM.

What's the "line roller"

THANKS

get seaguar next time billy.............

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    What's the "line roller"

THANKS
    Line roller is that round thing that's part of the bail. It is the one that releases and captures your line when opening and closing your bail. The line roller also guides the line through the spool as the rotor rotates when you crank the handle, and the spool moving up and down for even line lay. If your line roller is not rolling due to rust or due to a manufacturing defect, it will create twist on your line. At first you will not notice anything wrong with just a few cast and retrieve. But as you continue to cast and retrieve many times, you will notice that uber twist to the length of your line that goes out and then retrieved. A line roller that doesn't roll will guide line to the spool with alot of resistance and pressure, then combine that with the spool going up and down, the result is that wicked line twist.
    Last edited by Fish-On!; 08-01-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    get seaguar next time billy.............
    Thanks for the tip TO

I generally use Seaguar from a tip from you long ago. I just get lazy and am driving past Ken's and never could drive by a tackle shop.

Do you ever guide at Bridgeport or Grant Lake in the Loop? I can even offer free room and board in my shack if that will help ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast