Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Friday 4/10 - LMB and surprised by stripers

Default Pyramid Friday 4/10 - LMB and surprised by stripers

After a long off-season of doing a ton of stuff on the boat, trailer, and tow vehicle, the warming weather meant that it's time again for some springtime bassin'. It felt good to finally get a chance to do all the deferred maintenance and upgrade items I've been meaning to do, tasks including:

Install new fishfinder, Install Airlift-1000 system on the tow vehicle, Replace a bunch of rusty u-bolts on the trailer, Move trailer axle to reduce tongue weight, Repack bearings and replace seals (thanks to Cutbait for the great instructions, though I skipped the Coors light), New trailer tires and tow vehicle tires, Change outboard oil, gearcase lube, impeller, had carbs cleaned and sync'ed, misc other stuff...

I actually took it out on the lake last week for a systems check, but it was just a half-day so didn't get to fish much, plus the 25mph wind blew me off my spots. But today the weather report looked great, particularly the lack of wind, so it was time to do a full day. Brought all the LMB gear, hoping that the bass were getting active for Spring.

Morning was chilly, but no wind to speak of. Water temps were 60-61 all day, which was actually a drop from last week when it was nearly 62. Love it when the main lake is calm and glassy:

Headed to my favorite spot. Literally the first cast resulted in this guy, 3.5lbs on the scale and heaviest fish for the day:

After hooking up so quickly, was hoping for a WFO day, but the rest of the morning was just decent. Picked up a few LMB here and there, all less than 2lbs. No smallies today, unfortunately. Saw lots of empty beds, and not a single occupied one. Either those fish already spawned and left, or perhaps the potential spawners were swimming around the marina area wondering how the heck they got there...

But what surprised me was the shad were up and relatively shallow, which I haven't really seen this time of the year before.

Side and down imaging:

Traditional sonar image:

Sure enough, these shad schools were followed by big schools of stripers as shallow as 20 feet, again something I don't recall seeing this time of year (but maybe my old fishfinder just wasn't picking them up?):

I really had only expected to fish for LMB/SMB, and didn't have my usual trolling setups to go after these guys. Tried sending down a "Little George" into one of those schools, but they wouldn't have any of it. Decided to just stick with the LMB for the rest of the day.

But it was driving me crazy to keep seeing those huge wolfpacks roaming around, and the LMB action wasn't working for me as well as I thought it would.

Finally around 2pm I took some super flukes, put them on the heaviest shakyhead jigs I had, and trolled them as deep as I could get them. Sure enough, managed to boat a nice schoolie on my first pass:

Picked up two more after a few more passes, including a decent 3.2lber, before it was time to go.

It was a bit interesting that the fish I managed to hook up on weren't out of one of those huge schools, but were loners or in small groups.

So the stripers are definitely out there, and you don't need a downrigger to get to them (at least that was the case today). Great conditions out there, with no major weed blooms. However, the jetskis and water tubers are starting to make an appearance, and that will only get worse as the weather warms up.

Those are some healthy looking fish, did u see any boiles?
    Thanks for the pics and report

Great post. Those finder pics look amazing!

Enjoyed your report and nice going on the catching.
    Those are great finder pictures. What kind of electronics do you use? It looks more like a downloaded image than a photo but either way they are awesome!
    Your deck looks so much like mine I had to think "was I there?" Probably not, but thanks for the report. BF

What a GREAT report!

Love the new Ffinder bro Great shots!

Especially this one

That shadow on the right side of those fish seal the deal on that shot!

WTG,

Thank you so much for the Best mid report in a long time.
    Congrats.
    TRAIL BLAZER

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfan View Post
    Those are great finder pictures. What kind of electronics do you use? It looks more like a downloaded image than a photo but either way they are awesome!
    Your deck looks so much like mine I had to think "was I there?" Probably not, but thanks for the report. BF
    I suspect he saved the images to a chip and downloaded them on his computer later. My Lowrance HDS8 can do things I will never tap into cuz I'm dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    I suspect he saved the images to a chip and downloaded them on his computer later. My Lowrance HDS8 can do things I will never tap into cuz I'm dumb.
    Yup, that's exactly right -- my new unit has two SD slots, so you can save screenshots on one and have a mapping card in the other.

BTW, Humminbird now sells hi-definition maps for individual lakes, instead of having to buy an entire region. You have to download them and put them on your own SD card. Pyramid was $10, so is Castaic, and this will help me tremendously this summer keeping me in the trolling lanes and avoiding those hidden ridges.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    What a GREAT report!

Love the new Ffinder bro Great shots!

Especially this one

That shadow on the right side of those fish seal the deal on that shot!
    Thanks! I'm still learning how to interpret the images, but I can see that the shadows are very important fior determining depth. Though I'm not sure why there are only shadows on the right side and not the left. Does that mean that the school was directly underneath me and to the right-hand side only?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfan View Post
    Yep, noticed in your previous reports you have a Crestliner also, and that vinyl flooring does look familiar!

I love my Crestliner, it does everything I really need it to do. I almost traded it in last fall for an RT188, but in the end decided to keep it and fix it up a little, and upgrade the electronics. Really glad I did so.

Quote Originally Posted by TROUT MASTERS View Post
    Those are some healthy looking fish, did u see any boiles?
    Nope, not a single boil unfortunately. But definitely looking forward to this summer's boil season!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast