Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about "in your possession" rule

Default Wondering about "in your possession" rule

I always thought it was plain ... duh-mb English ... I can have up to 10 anywhere on me ... or in my car ... or back at the cabin-motel. And the daily limit is 5 per person ... in most of the usual places I"m talking. I've told some people that I'm headin to the Owens Valley this week and they would like some fish.

So I can only bring back 10 right? Anything else is subject to a ticket. I don't like to break rules if I know them and understand them.

Just wanted to make sure I'm on target ...

That's a great question, and I've wondered about that too...does the "in possession" rule stop at your car, the motel, or how about the striper fillets I am slowly working my way through in the freezer back home?

you could bring home a few trout "prison style" if you really need the extra fillets

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    you could bring home a few trout "prison style" if you really need the extra fillets
    Can you smuggle a cell phone into county jail for me?

The DFG regulations are somewhat vague, but the California Code of Resources goes a bit further:

"No more than one daily bag limit of each kind of fish, amphibian, reptile, mollusk or crustacean named in these regulations may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized; regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen, or otherwise preserved. "

(Exceptions cited allow for the 10 trout possession limits)

So it doesn't really matter where the fish are, or what state they're in, if you have more than 10 of them, you are in violation.

Of course, in reality the warden probably won't follow you home to check your freezer, unless you're caught with an egregious amount over the limit (like those guys with 50 abalone in their ice chest).

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I always thought it was plain ... duh-mb English ... I can have up to 10 anywhere on me ... or in my car ... or back at the cabin-motel. And the daily limit is 5 per person ... in most of the usual places I"m talking. I've told some people that I'm headin to the Owens Valley this week and they would like some fish.

So I can only bring back 10 right? Anything else is subject to a ticket. I don't like to break rules if I know them and understand them.

Just wanted to make sure I'm on target ...
    Keep 10 fish to be on a safe side and tell the guys if they want fish costco fot em all

kinda like you are over ur limit and u give ur trout caught to buddy next to u so he can limit??? .. most guys here say u are in violation!... or u are rock fishing on local boat and guy doesnt want his catch or pay for cleaning etc says hey u can have this... = technically ur overlimit and subject to fine??? wtf.... net on boat rule?? wat if u forgot to pack ur net that day??? is warden gonna be a weenie and ticket u for that also?????

If you are going to the Owens Valley....good chance you will get checked. There has been a lot of over limit tickets written by the resident Warden to both locals and folks visiting. Quite a bit of talk about it in the local sporting goods stores. Also being very strict on the no barb rule in the Wild Trout section.. He will appear out of the willows and ask you to toss your fly/lure over and check for barbs with a cotton ball. If you are running more then one hook or the hook catches the cotton....your "on the hook" for a several hundred dollar fine plus costs.

Yup!! He was working hard last weekend. Saw him 3 out of the 4 days I fished the WTS. Good thing! Gotta keep the poachers out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    If you are going to the Owens Valley....good chance you will get checked. There has been a lot of over limit tickets written by the resident Warden to both locals and folks visiting. Quite a bit of talk about it in the local sporting goods stores. Also being very strict on the no barb rule in the Wild Trout section.. He will appear out of the willows and ask you to toss your fly/lure over and check for barbs with a cotton ball. If you are running more then one hook or the hook catches the cotton....your "on the hook" for a several hundred dollar fine plus costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Viejo, what is the boundary mark for the WTS downstream? I've heard "5 Bridges," and I've heard "The sign near Chalks Bluff." Haven't seen a sign anywhere near 5 Bridges, and I have no clue where "The sign" is on Chalks Bluff.

And are you saying that in the WTS, I can't run a double nymph rig?

And the 7 or so days I've fished the Owens, I never ran into a DFW warden. Weird. Perhaps they only patrol the WTS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast