Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Back to kelp for more

Default Back to kelp for more

Well, sorry again for lack of visuals (yes, I already looked up that Gopro online for a good price, so hopefully next time)..
    But after last trip I just had to get out there again, soon. Tried a different spot in kelp this time and it was nearly a repeat of the last trip:

1) Conditions were funky: multiple swells , wind and more bouncing; it felt like fishing off the back of a moving horse on my 9-ft board. Met a kayaker who got a calico and was paddling back with broken ore.
    2) Whale traffic was heavy: I'd focus on jig drop and then suddenly hear a loud PPFFFFF behind my back, turn around and see a couple spouts in the air. This happened at least 4 times. Dolphins came too but did not get as close us last time, couple of seals were bobbing up and down.
    3)Once I blended into this marine ecosystem I started finding productive holes using only white, squid-baited jig. Got 3-4 gray colored mid-size rockfish that hit on the drop in mid-water like bass. And sure enough calicos came to play too: after a small one I hooked into a heavy one. I was sure it was WSB , but it turned out to be my PB calico around 22" and just fat and heavy. It behaved well (laying quietly as I stuck my whole fist in his mouth and recovered the jig). As soon as the jig and the bass were free I dropped down and got slammed instantly again but it was a different calico around 19". That just made my day. But it was not all.
    I got a smaller calico and mid-sized sandy and then,
    4) I threw a jig to sink between 2 kelp patches and got a WSB on and after letting go it chased the jig to the surface and grabbed it again, yet right near the surface the jig, barely hooked, came out. I was rather sure it was not a legal but 20-24" and I could see his nice thick vertical stripes and a tail as he went under the strings. With little knowledge I got I'd say the WSB are around these days, mostly short but I have been broken off but what may have been bigger models on a 10 lb line with light rod and reel.
    Can't wait for conditions to improve. All fish went back to the kelp today but I did make some mental notes for future..which should be a little warmer.

Sounds like one heck of a Nat Geo session out there...capped off by some damn good fishin! Nice scores and congrats on the PB!!!

Don

Glad you got on them with all of that effort sir. Those checkers sound like a lot of fun and congrats on the big girl. Fishing around all of that kelp is a whole different game for sure and it sounds like you are starting to get it pretty wired.

Looking forward to more adventurous reports from you in the future!

Mike

Hi ya efishent,

I really enjoyed all of the details of your session! Excellent!

Good job on the monstrous PB 22" Calico Bass! WTG!!

Thanx for the fish report w/ pic's!

SP Dan <"))><