Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: wtb trout trolling set up

Default wtb trout trolling set up

I have never owned a tolling set up, so can anyone recommend a rod and reel please?
    Does any one have anything for sale?
    Thanks

Your standard trout rod is sufficient as long as it is not a extreme whippy jig rod. I prefer a steelhead rod but I often use my Shimano Compre. I troll 6# test Izor XXX. If using leadcore a small conventional reel like a Ambassador is good. I pretty much only troll.

I started out with small Penn Level Wind reels (9 and 209 to keep the setup light) ... I believe level wind is a must! I have used 12 lb lead core ... and a lot of people use 18lb. I don't know which is better. I add 25-30 feet of leader ... usually 6lb (Izor XXX is great as posted by 5150). Lately it has been suggested that I used 12lb for about 25 feet and then tie on a very small swivel (no snap) which would allow me to not break off and have to tie leader to lead core ... which isn't too easy. With the swivel in place I can add some lighter leader depending on the circumstances. Some people only tie on a leader the length of the distance from the reel to the tip of your rod ... others feel they can do fine if the swivel comes up into the eyes of the rod a little ways.

Some experts go to down riggers which allow you to use lighter tackle ... I'm guessing you have to own a boat ... and can't really use it on a rental.

Others like to use flashers in front of their worm or lure. I personally feel this spoils the action ... but can increase the meat count.

I"m no expert ... but maybe this will help ... or prime the conversation. Your friendly tackle shop should be able to help you ... maybe you could even get the reel on Ebay. If it's in pretty good shape it should work well.

If you like this type of fishing you can move up price to something like a Calcutta TE400. I have a couple of them and love em.

GOOD LUCK

I use
    Seeker 2-8 lb 8' rod -Daiwa millionaire Classic -65yds 6lb izor xxx / 40lb braid
    Daiwa 8-14 lb 6'8" rod - daiwa AC17 -20' 6lb leader / 5 colors 18lb leadcore / 30lb braid backing

I also use some 4-8lb 6'6" rods with 1000 size spinning reels and 4lb izor xxx mono ... Just have to keep those drags a little
    loose

Make sure u have a line counter. Ur catch rate will go up alot when u find the zone stay there. I really like using a daiwa accudepth with leadcore