Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Wanted Dead or Alive & FIRST Legal Halibut!! Hoorah!

Default Wanted Dead or Alive & FIRST Legal Halibut!! Hoorah!

So what better way to celebrate good friday than by hitting the surf and fishing :)
    Surf reports said that the malibu area will have 2-3 ft of waves, and some wind. I wasn't expecting much since whenever I hit the surf when the waves were THAT high...I come out with nothing at all.
    Water clarity was once again cloudy close to shore but was a deep blue past the waves. After working the shore from the north and slowly to the south, I got nothing but some salad and MAX 2 bites.

On the way to my favorite spot on the beach I saw this little guy!

Awww so small....I hope it wasnt injured. Maybe he was afraid of the sharks

Anyway on my way to my favorite I saw that the water around my favorite rocks...were clear! Also since it was high tide, the water was deep. First cast into the rocks with my favorite lucky craft I felt like I snagged something...until it started pulling back!
    I had a fight on my hands! And while I was fighting whatever the hell was on the end of my line, the song "Wanted dead or Alive" by bon jovi(the theme song to the show DEADLIEST CATCH ;) was playing in my ear buds which made the fight even more cool lol I felt like I was in "Wicked Tuna" or something . Pretty epic fight since this was a back and forth ordeal. Just before I'd be able to land her, I would see the flick of the halibut tail and out she went again for another little run.
    Finally after a few huge lucky waves, I dragged this beauty on shore.

22.5+ inches! Wooohoo

Is it 22.8? or 23? Either way...awesome!

After some pics, since it was good friday(thou shalt not kill ya know? haha) I let her go :) Hope to catch her again when she's bigger!
    Next goal? Hit 24 inches and claim the record for the Soliva clan :) Or catch me one of these things you guys call.....Ghost

Happy Good friday guys! God bless and hit the beach already!!

Thanks for the report,reading the report and looking at the pics makes me get up and go but it's getting dark so I'll hit the surf tomorrow.

Remember, to always allow for shrinkage!

Nice fish though.

Legal Hali from the surf,always impressive,nice going on the release,I love the flavor of local halibut it would of been tuff for me, Wtg.

Cya Tuna Vic

Congrats on the legal flatty!
    I was at the beach yesterday, but to many people at that particular beach.
    Robert
    <><

Very nice! Congrats on nailing a surf legal and kudos on the release!

Don

Awesome and WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE....LOL

A big props to you as well for the CPR!

True fact and story....

I recently told a friend of mine that came in on his kayak and had three legal halibut on his game clip that most of the halibut in samo bay are infested with parasites. He cried BS to me so I told him to hold the filets up to a light and look through the flesh. Those little hair like things that look like tiny veins are actually worm like parasites. If you don't believe me then use a pair of tweezers and carefully extract the parasite from the flesh and lay it on a piece of white paper. Be prepared to either freak out or accept it and tell yourself that the parasites die when you cook the halibut. No health concern but kinda creepy IMHO.

My buddy Tim acknowledged my claim the next day and told me that he gave 90% of the meat away to some of his "Close Friends".....LOL

True story from about two weeks ago!

Hi ya Ghost117,

"Congratulations" on beaching your first legal halibut! WTG!!

The dark side like Mike mentioned is also know as having a bad case of "HALIBUT-TOSIS"! or also commomly known as CFD.

Chronic Fishing Disorder Ha ha ha ha!!

Thanx for the fish report w/ pictures!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 04-15-2015 at 05:21 PM.