Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayaking in the ocean

Default Kayaking in the ocean

Hey guys, I have a hobie outback and have taken it out a few times in freshwater and once in Huntington harbor. I want to take it out in the ocean but just curious is there any dangers? I realize the ocean isn't something to take lightly. But if it's a calm day is there anything I really need to worry about?
    Thanks for any info

I'm not a kayak fisherman but make sure u have ur life jacket,water and first aid kit and watch out of those damn seals

Yup I always have water and a life jacket

Try this spot. Free close parking on the street after you drop off your Yak. Flat as a lake and a hose to wash off even.

http://www.longbeach.gov/park/parks_...ics_center.asp

Quote Originally Posted by parkermann2 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a hobie outback and have taken it out a few times in freshwater and once in Huntington harbor. I want to take it out in the ocean but just curious is there any dangers? I realize the ocean isn't something to take lightly. But if it's a calm day is there anything I really need to worry about?
    Thanks for any info
    Wind. Wind is your enemy.
    Check the wind conditions before going out. Wind can come up quick, whether its the dreaded Santa Anas or just the afternoon breeze... it can ruin your day (or worse).

Leash your gear. At the very least, leash your paddle.

Depending on how far you are planning on going, you might want to invest in a handheld marine radio. May not be totally necessary if fishing near-shore kelp or shallow water.

If you are beach launching, check the surf reports/tide charts for your launch area.

Familiarize yourself on re-entering your kayak in open water, which includes flipping it right-side-up in case it gets rolled.
    Last edited by midgettosser1; 04-07-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks midgettosser. That's exactly what I was looking for. I have everything on a leash. And I had planned on looking at the weather before heading out. That's a good idea to see how hard it is to flip my kayak and get back in. I might test that in my pool

Default Marine radio

I would suggest getting a marine radio if you're going outside the harbor and go with a buddy for your fist time. Hit me up if you want go rock fishing right outside of Newport harbor or to the long beach break walls.

I have been to the close oil platforms in front of HB cliffs. Going off shore is serious stuff. We took it lightly, and thankfully nothing bad happened. Coming in the paddler in front went completely out of sight between swells. It was fun stuff, but thinking back we did some stupid things. Everything is magnified....the hook in the finger, getting dehydrated and sun burn etc.....all become a real chore to deal with. You're on your own. Not trying to blow it out of proportion just be prepared.

Several years back the Santa Ana winds came up and swept a woman offshore never to be seen again.

Thanks for the tips guys. I really don't plan to fishing offshore at all but I will look Into o a radio.

Quote Originally Posted by LGOP View Post
    I would suggest getting a marine radio if you're going outside the harbor and go with a buddy for your fist time. Hit me up if you want go rock fishing right outside of Newport harbor or to the long beach break walls.
    that would be fun. I might hit you up in the next week or two and go out of Newport. As of right now I need new tires on my truck and it's not very freeway worthy. I don't want to blow a tire and crash with the kayak in the back . When do you go? Weekdays? Weekends? I should be able to take a day off of work or go on a weekend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast