Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Tale of Two Harbors - No not that Two Harbors

Default Tale of Two Harbors - No not that Two Harbors

Yeah...not the Catalina Two Harbors...

Well today I had a couple meetings I needed to attend in Newport Beach but there was a 2 1/2 hour break in between them so I figured I'd bring along a fishing rod since its been quite a while since I wet a line. Just before the first meeting ended I get a text, the second meeting is canceled. Okay, since I'm here and free now guess I'll fish it and I won't have to worry about the time.

I hit one of the public docks off Balboa Island first. Threw a Big Hammer swim bait and first cast, let it sink, take two cranks and "Bam!" I'm on with something. It starts pulling line real slowly for a few feet then stops. Some big head shakes and I'm not gaining anything for a couple minutes and then, slowly I gain a few feet and then its off. Just pulled the hook loose. Damn! Felt like a pretty substantial fish, whatever it was. Maybe a WSB? Large Halibut? A Bat Ray? (Although the Bat Rays I've caught usually take a big first run - this fish didn't) so who knows what it was. Now it seems like I've got the "first cast" curse. I fish for maybe a half hour with nothing more and then snag the BH on something and have to break it off. So I switch to an old standby, a yellow Scrounger. First cast with that and I'm on again. Not the big guy I lost before but come up with this...

About 8 inches or so, C&R of course. Nice to beat the skunk anyway. After a while longer I decide to run up to Huntington Harbor and try there. Fished a few spots there but come up with nothing more. Still nice to get out as its been way too long. Hopefully will be back out sooner then later.

My guess would be halibut from your description of the fight , thats what the flat ones do.