Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: DVL tourney report and Story.. 3/28

Default DVL tourney report and Story.. 3/28

So this past Saturday was the final event of the season for the ABA Diamond Valley region.
    At the beginning of the season when I looked at all the schedules I decided that I was only going to do ONE series for the Teams regular season.
    Me and Barry had conflicts in our schedules so we wouldn't be able to fish an entire series. Also My other partner Kevin and I had some scheduling conflicts so we too also wouldn't be able to fish an entire regular season series and that was a bummer because he and I won the 2014 Angler of the Year title in the ABA Inland Empire region last season, so we wouldn't be able to defend our title.
    So that left me fishing only one regular season series .. The ABA Diamond Valley Region.
    In 2014, My wife Carissa and I won the Angler of the Year title so our plan for this season was to fish hard each event with one goal in mind.. DEFEND OUR TITLE!!!
    So when we showed up to the first event of the season in early November we had that one goal in mind. When all was said and done that day we finished in third place, had a solid day and were pretty happy with our start of the season.
    Then the series moved to December where I lost a giant bass at the boat that would have earned us 2nd place.. Instead we ended up in 10th place for the day and it rattled me to the core because I knew we should have taken over the points lead at that event. I had the fish on to do it but It didn't make it to the boat.. On the bright side, we moved into 2nd place in the standings at that event oddly enough because most of the top players bombed like we did or even did worse. It was just one of those events... But as I said the only bright spot was us moving into 2nd in the standings.
    Then the series took over a month break for the holidays and we showed up at DVL at the end of January ready to get on track and stay consistent. When all was said and done that day we finished in 4th place and in turn we took over the points lead in the standings..
    Then the next event was in February.. in fact the tournament was on VALENTINES Day.. "well at least we get to be together on Valentines day", I told Carissa that day. lol.. She's a trooper and didn't complain at all. We were both focused on defending our title. At that event we fished hard and again finished in 4th place but we maintained our points lead.. We just never got that bigger bite and we were only like 2 ounces out of 3rd place.. But we were happy because we maintained our lead..

Next up was Our first of 2 March events... where we had a big weight and ended up 4th again for the day..this time we were .02 lbs out of 3rd place which hurt because we lost another big bass at the boat in the afternoon that again would have given us 2nd place and I knew that couple points might make a difference in the standings because we only finished one point ahead of the team that was in 2nd place in the standings..

So the stage was set.... one last tournament of the year for all the marbles. Our lead was 5 points going into this evnt.. So when we showed up at the lake this past Saturday morning we knew it was going to be a dog fight.
    When we started the tournament we knew we had to catch them.. We headed to our first spot and it was a ghost town... My fish moved!!! We grinded on the area for over and hour and a half and managed to catch 3 bass.. But that paled in comparison to the week before when we had our 5 bass limit in 20 minutes on that very spot.
    After about an hour Carissa looked at me and I looked at her and we were both in shock... We couldn't believe our honey hole was dried up...Or was it?
    I told Carissa it was time for a move and we'd come back later.. So we moved.. and in the next hour we caught a few more fish but nothing big... Then we moved again and got a few more and improved our weight a few ounces at a time... THE BITE WAS TOUGH!!
    I was stressing because I knew our competition was on the fish really well and we were for all intents and purposes.. STRUGGLING! But we kept grinding and grinding...

Was the pressure getting to us? was it really that tough out there? At one point I looked at Carissa and said, "Our title is slipping away"... But she tried her best to keep us both focused because the wheels were coming off quick. Im usually a rock on the water but I couldn't help but feel us sliding downword in a spiral.. Things just weren't clicking nor happening like I wanted. But we kept grinding all the way to the end.. and with 30 minutes left in the day we went back to our starting spot and Carissa caught a nice one that helped us on her first cast.. then I caught our biggest bass of the day and it helped us by a pound.
    After we caught those fish I told her that those fish MIGHT have just won us the title..

So to the weighins we went.. We didn't have a big weight but we hoped it would be enough to win the title.
    The first team we see weighin was the team in 2nd in the standings.. AND THEY CAUGHT THEM REALLY GOOD.. they had a huge weight. Then we weighed ours in and we were behind them in weight.. Now the waiting game... We had a five point lead... and for every person that weighed in more weight than us, we lost a point in the standings. Basically if they finished 4 spots or less in front of us we'd win the title.. 5 spots ahead of us and wed Share the title and six spots or more we'd lose our title... It was intense... I saw 3-4 teams weigh in with more weight than us but we didn't see about 6-7 teams weigh in so I had no clue what they had.. At the awards the intensity was thick. We REALLY wanted this title... As the Tournament director called out the point standings he got to 2nd place and you could cut the tension with a knife... as he called 2nd place it was neither our team nor the other team, and we knew right away that it was a tie for Angler of the year.. The title was ours.. albeit shared, but to be the champs, you have to beat the champs and we finished tied for Angler of the year and retained our title. Yeah it isn't quite as good as winning the title out right alone at top but NOBODY finished ahead of us in the standings and that's what matters to us... TEAM MARINO WENT BACK TO BACK!!! I'll take it.. Overall for the season it was "Just OKAY" by our standards. We lost a few fish during the season that hurt us but our goal was to be consistent and retain our title and that's what we did.. Not bad for a husband /wife team..

Ive been hammering the bass lately on big worms and jigs on prespawn spots... also the dropshot and senkos have been getting them for us... We focused mainly on the prespawn areas with big worms this event but a lot of those fish moved off or up.. The next wave is already moving in.. All of our fish were caught on the baits listed above mainly in 15-26 ft of water but also had some up tighter in 5-10ft..

If you want a trip to DVL before they close you'd better call me soon before DVL closes its doors to private boats in a few weeks.. I am on them good at both DVL and Perris... Call me and book your trip... Its Spring everyone... the bite is great at both lakes...LETS GO FISHING!!!!

Also check out more of my fishing stuff on my Facebook page.. check it out and give it a like to follow me.. go to "Pete Marino Fishing" on facebook..

Pete

PeteMarinoGuideService.com
    (909) 510-5679 office
    (909) 241-8283 cell..
    Facebook - Pete Marino Fishing

Wow Pete, congrats! That's quite a feat. Thanks for posting that!