Took my 9 ft surfboard and light rod/reel setup/10 lb mono to one of my favorite kelp forests that I haven't visited since last year. The waves were peaking at shoulder-head height but at manageable period so the safety of kelp was just a few strokes away. I was worried about the setup but it surely fits into 'travel light ' program required for this type of fishing. My fanny pack included 4 jigs, 1 - 3 oz weight , 2 hooks, pliers, license, pre-cut squid and knife +measuring tape. The plan was C and R all and to explore what is new this spring. I wish I had goPRO to film the action (maybe at b-day..?). Aside from good fishing there were whales passing in the distance and the dolphins came right under my board and swam around flopping their tales on the surface. I presume they were as happy with the action as I was pulling fish in.

The water was a bit cooler than before and visibility very poor (thus no divers) but the fresh frozen squid was working great. First cast - I got a 16" calico on and his buddy about the same size was following him to the surface trying to get the jig too. Next thing I got nibbles (thinking some smelt or macs) but after missing few hook sets my rod loads up nicely. Right through the same hole in the kelp, one after another, I pulled 2 WSB (22 and 18") . both rather chunky but didn't fight too hard. Next were a calico and a sand bass on a smaller side and then I switched to dropper loop and got a mac, another small calico and, finally a rockfish in what seemed like a sandy patch between the kelp. Missing the lunch was a factor and I started to get a bit chilly even on the sun and pedaled back with clean landing between sets.

I did lose a couple jigs to unknown creatures but that's what you get with light setup and fishing through the kelp,- no worries , I was back in 2.5 hours and can't wait to get out there again.
Hope all have a fun weekend.