Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Spring Assortment in the kelp

Default Spring Assortment in the kelp

Took my 9 ft surfboard and light rod/reel setup/10 lb mono to one of my favorite kelp forests that I haven't visited since last year. The waves were peaking at shoulder-head height but at manageable period so the safety of kelp was just a few strokes away. I was worried about the setup but it surely fits into 'travel light ' program required for this type of fishing. My fanny pack included 4 jigs, 1 - 3 oz weight , 2 hooks, pliers, license, pre-cut squid and knife +measuring tape. The plan was C and R all and to explore what is new this spring. I wish I had goPRO to film the action (maybe at b-day..?). Aside from good fishing there were whales passing in the distance and the dolphins came right under my board and swam around flopping their tales on the surface. I presume they were as happy with the action as I was pulling fish in.

The water was a bit cooler than before and visibility very poor (thus no divers) but the fresh frozen squid was working great. First cast - I got a 16" calico on and his buddy about the same size was following him to the surface trying to get the jig too. Next thing I got nibbles (thinking some smelt or macs) but after missing few hook sets my rod loads up nicely. Right through the same hole in the kelp, one after another, I pulled 2 WSB (22 and 18") . both rather chunky but didn't fight too hard. Next were a calico and a sand bass on a smaller side and then I switched to dropper loop and got a mac, another small calico and, finally a rockfish in what seemed like a sandy patch between the kelp. Missing the lunch was a factor and I started to get a bit chilly even on the sun and pedaled back with clean landing between sets.

I did lose a couple jigs to unknown creatures but that's what you get with light setup and fishing through the kelp,- no worries , I was back in 2.5 hours and can't wait to get out there again.
    Hope all have a fun weekend.

Nice job getting out there on the surfboard.
    Those juvenile WSB put up a good fight.
    Robert
    <><

Great job on a surfboard

Nice session! Sounds like a great time out there all the way around!

Don

Wow,that sounds like a action packed day,all that life in one outing very cool,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Good to hear that the kelp is growing a bit up north and you were able to slay a few finned friends. It was pumping today and I looked at the C-Street reports and the point looked like it was BIG. I'm assuming you went out yesterday or before. Anyways....Great job on the board. Props for thinking outside of the box and going to the fish rather than waiting for them to come to you!

Well – it is always great to become part of the ocean for a couple hours - whether it is catching the waves or fish. You can never be 100% comfortable in the Big Blue but almost always there is a rewarding surprise if you make an effort to get out. There were way too many surfers at the break, but the kelp– I had the place to myself.

Man that sounds like a day full of action. Great job!
    I too wish I had a GoPro and soon enough, plan to buy one. Gotta get those action vids. haha