Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on first Yak

Default Opinion on first Yak

Gonna buy me a yak finally. don't want to spend much, in case I don't stick with it. I am 53 and have a little back trouble. been on one before and never bought one because the seat hurt my back. I want this primarly for the ocean/harbors. I am liking this one right now. http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-...3110707113412/
    tell me if you think this is a good kyak. I like the dug out part in the front, and the compartment close to me. thanks in advance.
    signed.....tired of float tubing

I know they are a lot of money but check out the new hobie outbacks. They have a stadium style seat. They are extremely stable and have a flat surface where you can stand without falling. And the mirage drive is probably the greatest thing ever. In my outback I only use the paddle to launch and beach my kayak. Other than that it is locked into the side of the boat and I am paddling wherever I want hands free. You can test them at a lot of kayak shops and even buy them used on Craigslist. But especially because you have a bad back test one Out before you buy it

Default kayak

Quote Originally Posted by parkermann2 View Post
    I know they are a lot of money but check out the new hobie outbacks. They have a stadium style seat. They are extremely stable and have a flat surface where you can stand without falling. And the mirage drive is probably the greatest thing ever. In my outback I only use the paddle to launch and beach my kayak. Other than that it is locked into the side of the boat and I am paddling wherever I want hands free. You can test them at a lot of kayak shops and even buy them used on Craigslist. But especially because you have a bad back test one Out before you buy it
    I had an older Hobie, not sure which model. Not mirage drive.
    That thing was the most Unstable kayak I've ever paddled.
    I sold it after using it only one time.
    For someone buying their first one, I'd go with the Bass Pro boat at less than half the price of the Hobie.

I have had 3 HOBIES. An older outback. Sold that. I now have a 2011 outback and a 2012 PA12. They are pricey, but with good reason. If u don't want to shell out the $$ for a HOBIE, I would not get the new ascend, but would get a used kayak that can provide better stability then the ascend. Maybe a cobra, WS tarpon, FeelFree Moken, there are options. And I guarantee u any ofthe used kayaks I mentioned will hold their value better than a like new ascend. Just my 2 pennies. If u wanna talk more about kayaks, I could go on for days.

buddy of mine has cobra fish and dive for sale.. complete set up tagged and motorized.. all gear included dolly paddles roof racks bilge etc....... he prefer diving instead and no patience for the fishing games......... asking $1000 obo. 90042 south pasadena area

Because of your back, look at finding a light kayak. I'm bias to wilderness system tarpons. The ride is better but again consider weight. Test them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliyak View Post
    Because of your back, look at finding a light kayak. I'm bias to wilderness system tarpons. The ride is better but again consider weight. Test them all.
    My back only gets sore from sitting, not so much carrying it. I have looked at the Hobies at the fred hall show, and liked them, but am not spending that kind of money on something I might not use very often. My intention is to try this out and if I use it a lot, I would like to try the ones you peddle. Cadilyak, why do you say they are not stable. all the reviews say they are casting standing up. and I am not worried about holding value on a kayak. just want to try some fishing from one on the ocean, or harbor. thanks for all your help guys. I am going to look at it in vegas next week. just looked at the field and stream one at Dicks sporting goods, but didn't like the seat so low, and cheap.
    Last edited by fishfinder; 03-31-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Default Update

i looked at one at DICKS SPORTING GOODS FOR $450. IT WAS A FIELD AND STREAM. SEAT TO LOW. GOING TO BASS PRO IN VEGAS THIS WEEKEND TO CHECK OUT THE ASCEND

Went to bass pro in Vegas this weekend to look at the ascend, and all they had was the FS128T, and it is 8" longer, and 2" wider than the FS12T. What a massive boat. Gonna order the FS12T as soon as I get some stuff out of my garage.

My buddy and I have the Ascends. We paddle all day long, many times in wind at Mead and Willow and of course Silverwood. I had planned on upgrading to an Outback mirage drive but realized there are some shortcomings to the Mirage drive, no reverse, clearance in shallow water and one of the main positives of owning a kayak is no mechanical parts to have issues with in my mind. Of course from a fishing platform the Outback freeing up your arms to cast is a beautiful thing but many times I'm just trolling from spot to spot.

You are always going to get those that suggest higher end equipment no matter if you are asking about a rod, reel etc... but we all must live withing our budgets and I think you can do no wrong with the Ascend kayak line, I'm happy as heck and have always loved to paddle, think I'd miss it if I got a mirage drive type system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast