Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22nd Street - Pursuit 3/23

Default 22nd Street - Pursuit 3/23

So after watching the fish counts and doing some more research I decided to go big for the little guy's first trip out (also his birthday trip, as mentioned on another thread). The Indian was going to be my first choice but it's out getting repowered so I chose the full-day on the Pursuit. I decided on full day because I know my son and know he can hang longer than most kids twice his age and figured we'd have the best luck at some okay numbers with more time.

After a long boat ride around the island I got the two of us set up and fly-lined out some sardines. Before I could even get mine wet his reel went zinging. Yep, the first time this kid has his line in saltwater and he has a friggin yellowtail on!

I looked at him and asked him if he was ready, he smiled, I grabbed the rod just above the reel (mostly because I was afraid it might yank his little but over the rail) and hit it and he was in a full on battle! Not too far into it I had to let him rest the butt of the reel on my hip and help him pull the rod but he was leaning back and cranking as hard as his arms could. The crew and other anglers were cheering him on and after a few minutes he had landed his first yellowtail!

In all we had 40 yellow tail on the boat and an assortment of rock fish, etc. It was an epic day and for sure the trip he and I will remember for a lifetime.

Joe

Last edited by Baja1ab; 03-24-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Right on Dad!!! 1st class all the way!!!

Love the picture of him holding it!

Good on you to get him salty at a young age and a yellowtail
    1st trip! He is doomed ! Now everything in his life will revolve
    Around fishing like the rest of us. Haha

Props to Pops!

AWESOME!!!! Dad of the Year!!! good job and congrats to the little Man!

Nice! He looks like a tuff little guy,that tail had no chance,very nice Pop,wtg!

Cya Tuna Vic

Way to go!

I did the same thing when my son was 5 years old, he is now 20 and does long range trips with me...........

Capt'n

Fantastic! That is what ita all about right there!

Awesome report Dad! Congrats to your son!

I'm glad i found your report, it made my day!

Thanks guys. I'm already in trouble. Tomorrow is his actual birthday and so far everyone who has asked him what he wants these last couple of days gets the same answer - "Money so I can go on another fishing trip".

I've created a monster, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPT'N View Post
    Way to go!

I did the same thing when my son was 5 years old, he is now 20 and does long range trips with me...........

Capt'n
    ...and Andy is a fine young man.

You might as well get him a LIFETIME fishing license NOW.
    Save a lot of money in the long run..

Ages 0-9 $517
    Ages 10-39 $844
    Ages 40-61 $761
    Ages 62+ $ 517.
    Available to residents of California. Lifetime fishing licensees receive an annual sport fishing license each year for life. Lifetime License Information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast