Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snakes

Default Snakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA_0865.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	45985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA_0815.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	45983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA_0860.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	45984Took a day off from my home renovation project today cus my wife wanted to get a way for the day. So we went to the Diamond for a hike and a picnic, wonderful weather and we had fun. If you shore fish watch out for these big boys. And damn that sure is a long boat ramp.

I was on the anchor one day and one swam by...

Thanks for not killing it.

A few years ago I got pics of one swimming across the third walk in cove. Pretty good swimmers. Figured a hawk may have dropped it. Don't know why they would just go for a swim being cold blooded. Very very lethargic when it exited the water onto shore.
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 03-25-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkbait View Post
    Thanks for not killing it.

A few years ago I go pics of one swimming across the third walk in cove. Pretty good swimmers. Figured a hawk may have dropped it. Don't know why they would just go for a swim being cold blooded. Very very lethargic when it exited the water onto shore.
    That's a good question. Bill and I had one attempt to get into our boat in 3rd cove a couple of years ago. We didn't see it swim up until it was circling the boat trying to figure out how to get in. We used the lure retriever to "persuade" him that our boat wasn't a good place for him to get some sunshine...
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 03-24-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Default 'Seen 5 or 6 in the Water @ DVL

I have seen 5 or 6 rattlesnakes in the water at DVL. One of them was the largest rattlesnake that I had ever seen. And as a retired land surveyor, I have seen plenty. The Lake staff warned me about the snake while I was fishing on a point; so I thought that I would go check it out. It was probably 400' from shore just swimming along. As soon as I trolling motored up to it, it started making a beeline at my boat! I had seen enough of it for my liking and put the trolling motor on high and got the heck out of Dodge!

I can tell you that nothing gets my heart pumping like a snake in a boat. While fishing the stumps with a frog at Lake Palestine in Texas with an uncle many years ago I had an encounter I will never forget.
    We had been catching a fair number of bass on the frog while fishing tree stumps. I had an unusual hit and my rod loaded up hard. Then I quickly noticed a large Cotton Mouth snake had taken my frog lure and asked my uncle to cut the line. No he said and proceeded to take my pole and reel it in. When he jerked the snake with the lure stuck in its mouth into the boat I was ready to jump overboard, except that’s where the snake came from and he might have friends nearby.
    My uncle calmly cut the snakes head off leaving the headless body to thrash around in the bottom of the boat while he extracted the hooks from the head with two pair of pliers. He saved his prize lure but I was done for the day. Yikes a Cotton Mouth is the ugliest damn snake there is in my book, heavy body snake with an aggressive attitude and that with mouth contrasting against the black body is creepy.
    Don’t know if it is true or not but I have been told that during the mating season they are especially aggressive and if you run across one do not look them in the eye as they will come at you. They do not retreat or stand their ground but charge you.

At Silverwood in the cove under the campground (campground cove) I had a huge one swim up right between myself and another friend that was fishing with me that was only about 30ft away from me. It came onshore crawled up under a bush and coiled up like it was protecting something, thought maybe eggs. It swam quite a ways and was intent upon coming onshore between us, weird!

That ramp looks ominous,I too had one swim by as we were fishing near the shore in a boat,I had my Gloomis ready to swing.

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I can tell you that nothing gets my heart pumping like a snake in a boat. While fishing the stumps with a frog at Lake Palestine in Texas with an uncle many years ago I had an encounter I will never forget.
    We had been catching a fair number of bass on the frog while fishing tree stumps. I had an unusual hit and my rod loaded up hard. Then I quickly noticed a large Cotton Mouth snake had taken my frog lure and asked my uncle to cut the line. No he said and proceeded to take my pole and reel it in. When he jerked the snake with the lure stuck in its mouth into the boat I was ready to jump overboard, except that’s where the snake came from and he might have friends nearby.
    My uncle calmly cut the snakes head off leaving the headless body to thrash around in the bottom of the boat while he extracted the hooks from the head with two pair of pliers. He saved his prize lure but I was done for the day. Yikes a Cotton Mouth is the ugliest damn snake there is in my book, heavy body snake with an aggressive attitude and that with mouth contrasting against the black body is creepy.
    Don’t know if it is true or not but I have been told that during the mating season they are especially aggressive and if you run across one do not look them in the eye as they will come at you. They do not retreat or stand their ground but charge you.
    I grew up in Texas and yes the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth) is one of the most aggressive snakes you will ever see. We've had the buggers drop from trees into our boat at night when I was a kid and you wouldn't believe how hard it was to fight the urge to jump in the water while my dad was cracking it with a boat paddle. I used to walk around (shore fish) as a kid and you can actually smell the nasty things before you can see them. Horrible musky smell to them.

Brent I can't tell ya about that musky smell as at the time I had another smell goin' that took about 6 laundry cycles to wash out of my shorts.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast