Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Alondra Park Res.

Default Alondra Park Res.

Hey everyone I am new to LA area and want to go try and catch some largemouth bass at Alondra (this lake is close to my place) from the bank after work some night. Is there a decent population of bass in the lake? Any help with good areas to try and baits/presentations to use? I have fished bass tournaments for many years and always catch and release, any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Jeff,

What's your bass fishing background?

Where did you do most of your tournament fishing at?

I have fished tournaments for about 20 years in the Midwest. I have fished BASS, FLW, clubs, open, buddy, federation events etc. I moved to NorCal a few years ago and had to sell my boat. I have a new job in LA and want to get back into bass fishing. I'm trying to find clubs, circuits, tournaments (non-boater for now) that I can try in the los angeles area. Any help would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by BassinJeff View Post
    I have fished tournaments for about 20 years in the Midwest. I have fished BASS, FLW, clubs, open, buddy, federation events etc. I moved to NorCal a few years ago and had to sell my boat. I have a new job in LA and want to get back into bass fishing. I'm trying to find clubs, circuits, tournaments (non-boater for now) that I can try in the los angeles area. Any help would be great!
    BassinJeff,

You may see a bit of a difference in fishing the Midwest and fishing SoCal, mainly in the dynamics of the reservoirs we have out here. (20 feet is shallow, and water clarity is a factor).

First, I'd brush up on the finesse game. Matching line size to water clarity and skittish and pressured bass will be your biggest challenge. The heaviest line I've used in SoCal has been 8# test, maaaybe going up to 10# if fishing reaction type baits. We don't have much vegetation, which makes the water gin clear at most places, which is why the lighter baits and lighter lines will yield more success.

Practice the drop shot, practice the fly lined Senko. Once you have both of those baits and techniques nailed in your arsenal, you'll be able to adjust to fish once they move off the beds and start chasing forage later in the year.

Thanks Darkshadow. I have been catching a few on Dropshot from the bank but am yet to catch my first California swimbait bass. I hope that comes soon. I did have experience with both techniques in the Midwest.

Can you suggest any good boater/non-boater circuits or clubs to look at? Also, have you fished Alondra before? Not sure if a small lake in the middle of the city has any bass to catch. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BassinJeff View Post
    Thanks Darkshadow. I have been catching a few on Dropshot from the bank but am yet to catch my first California swimbait bass. I hope that comes soon. I did have experience with both techniques in the Midwest.

Can you suggest any good boater/non-boater circuits or clubs to look at? Also, have you fished Alondra before? Not sure if a small lake in the middle of the city has any bass to catch. Thanks
    Jeff,

With swimbait fish, I've found that unless the fishing gods are looking down on you that day, it's more of a quality versus quantity type of approach. Obviously, "swimbait" encompasses a range of baits, but perhaps scaling down in size may get you some fish. One of my favorites type of baits to throw when baitfish are around are small 2.5" to 3" swimbaits on 1/8 ounce heads. You'd be surprised at the size of fish you can get to go with those baits. What kind of swimbaits have you tried?

I've never fished Alondra before, but if it fishes like any urban lake around here, the fish will be pressured, and the lack of catch and release that occurs at these places have dwindled down populations, but they are still there. That's one thing that you'll find consistently with the fish around these parts; they are heavily pressured. From lakes like DVL, to urban ponds like Alondra, these fish see a lot of anglers, and you will need to fine tune your approach wherever you go.

As far as bass clubs? The only one that I had the pleasure of fishing with are the California Bass Contenders and all the members I had the pleasure of meeting were all class act guys. You can find their information online.

The only tournament 'circuit,' I had the pleasure of fishing was the Top Joes, which I have no clue exists anymore to tell you the truth. I'm sure others can chime in here when it comes to the tournament information you're seeking.

Good luck!

Alondra Park has some big LMB in there but good luck catching them. That lake is very pressured and the only time I've had any luck catching a 7+ pounders is when I ninja fish it at around 12-6 in the morning. If you want to throw swimbaits, I like to throw the a Mattlures Gill, 68 Rainbow Hudd, Deps 175 (Not worth throwing the 250 IMO), and a 6 in BBZ. If you want to throw a small swimbait, I like the EZ Shad on a weighted wide gap hook with center pin or Fluke. Find the grass line and crank/jerk baits work great as well.

I fish for 5+ pounders and with that being said... I go home empty handed a lot. Right now I am on a one month slump (Haven't caught anything over 5 pounds) and I fish everyday. You are near a lake called Magic Johnson as well. That park has two lakes and does have 10+ pounders in there. It used to be stocked just like other socal lakes, but since its in the ghetto, they don't want to treat it and stock it again. Cerritos Lake also has big girls in there, but they are like rare pokemon cards. The owner of jackall caught a 11 pounder last year around this time at Cerritos. If you want to take the drive to Ralph Clark in La Mirada/Fullerton or Luguna in Fullerton, they both have giants.

It seems like the stars have align in your favor to catch nowadays. Meaning you have to cast on the right spot, at the right time using the right bait and color just to catch a decent size fish. I love it! The harder it gets every year, the better it feels when you catch a beauty. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by BankboyTee View Post
    Alondra Park has some big LMB in there but good luck catching them. That lake is very pressured and the only time I've had any luck catching a 7+ pounders is when I ninja fish it at around 12-6 in the morning. If you want to throw swimbaits, I like to throw the a Mattlures Gill, 68 Rainbow Hudd, Deps 175 (Not worth throwing the 250 IMO), and a 6 in BBZ. If you want to throw a small swimbait, I like the EZ Shad on a weighted wide gap hook with center pin or Fluke. Find the grass line and crank/jerk baits work great as well.

I fish for 5+ pounders and with that being said... I go home empty handed a lot. Right now I am on a one month slump (Haven't caught anything over 5 pounds) and I fish everyday. You are near a lake called Magic Johnson as well. That park has two lakes and does have 10+ pounders in there. It used to be stocked just like other socal lakes, but since its in the ghetto, they don't want to treat it and stock it again. Cerritos Lake also has big girls in there, but they are like rare pokemon cards. The owner of jackall caught a 11 pounder last year around this time at Cerritos. If you want to take the drive to Ralph Clark in La Mirada/Fullerton or Luguna in Fullerton, they both have giants.

It seems like the stars have align in your favor to catch nowadays. Meaning you have to cast on the right spot, at the right time using the right bait and color just to catch a decent size fish. I love it! The harder it gets every year, the better it feels when you catch a beauty. Good Luck

Thanks for the tips!

What about Peck Road? Been getting worked there. Catching nothing, feel like I'm fishing in a tub. Sorry for the hi-jack.