Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Malibu 3.22 Gone Fishing

Default Malibu 3.22 Gone Fishing

My alarm goes off at 5:45 am. Load up the gear and on the road by 6:10am. Its just my brother(Ghost117) and I listening to Gone Fishing by Bing Crosby & Louis Armstrong, while on our way to a spot in Malibu.
    ]
    Upon arrival, the conditions were ideal and I had feeling today was going to be a nice day for some fishing.

Started off with one of my LC's that I tried painting myself (failed attempt :lol: )
    [URL=http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/fish4life91/media/20150322_070117.jpg.html]
    Quickly switched after realizing the tide was to low and I would have ended up just losing my LC. Made the switch to a 3 inch swimbait in city shrimp color on a 1/2 jig head.

After a few casts, I break the skunk with a decent sized YFC. For a moment I thought maybe I should keep it for the folks back at home. However, I thought maybe just maybe I would catch something even greater.

7:55am
    A few casts later on a very slow retrieve I get a good hit. Head-shakes and the seaweed like feeling on my rod tells me its a halibut. The fight lasted probably less than 3 minutes so I was convinced it was just another short butt.

I have already caught a legal halibut before but it was exactly 22 inches so I released it. However, this time this beauty came in at 23 inches.

This would be the first legal halibut that I would bring back home to my parents. Said a little prayer for the fish before dispatching it. Bought some ice and called it day. Ended up watching my brother fish for the next hour and half because I was content and wanted to end the day on a high note. An amazing way to end the week.

Oh and found out that this gas station nearby sold Stroopwafels (sweeeet)
    8)
    Last edited by fish4life; 03-22-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Nice healthy legal f4l! Congrats!!!

Don

Excellent job and thank you for reminding me what a legal looks like, I seem to have forgotten....

Thank you for the report!

Kelly

Nice job on the flatty, hoping for my first legal in the surf soon

Nice fish! Thanks 4 the report & that's a great song, I've got it on my fish'n playlist.