Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly rod stripers

ive had guys flyfish off my boat and catch stripers ,ive got fly fishing friends who catch all the time doing it,,,,i think I would look for a sculpin pattern for the duct..........

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin4runner View Post
    My grandpa use to fly fish the duct with great success, he slayed regularly. his recommendation use a 6 weight fly rod and flies that resemble brown locusts. He also said May might be a little late for the hatch, and then said with the mild winter the hatch might be a little late..........Hope this helps...
    Thanks 4runner, appreciate the input

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    ive had guys flyfish off my boat and catch stripers ,ive got fly fishing friends who catch all the time doing it,,,,i think I would look for a sculpin pattern for the duct..........
    Yes, I was thinking sculpin too along with your usual suspects of shad and similar baitfish patterns. I'm gonna try those with some sinking leaders and some topwater too. We'll see what happens.

6 weight sounds a little light to me considering you could hook into a pig, also fighting wind and getting the fish up the bank. I'd go 8. Clousers are very effective on stripers and will sink better if there is a flow, although I hate casting them.

Stripers love the fly, go get some!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12