Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly rod stripers

Default Fly rod stripers

What's up guys? Has anyone out there actually caught a duct striper on a fly rod? I'll be back in the AV in May and am thinking about bringing an 8 weight rod with me.

Good question.

I think it's best to find out what part of the water column they're eating at, or else you may be looking at throwing 300 grain sink tips.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Good question.

I think it's best to find out what part of the water column they're eating at, or else you may be looking at throwing 300 grain sink tips.
    Yes, that definitely holds true whether you're throwing fly rods or conventional and I've got plenty of sink tips. I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there that's actually slayed one with a fly rod.

Please let us know how you did!

Sorry I've never been to the duct, but I can't imagine it's a lot different than fishing for stripers on the aqueduct-fed lakes, i.e. 200-300 grain shooting heads (as mentioned), and blue/white clousers. I've had some luck on the lakes with an all-white, mostly maribou fly I tied, similar to the ones people use to troll with.

I'd imagine it might be difficult to get a good backcast, though. But hmmm, spey casting might work well....

I have flailed the water some with mine, but I use it so little, my mechanics are rusty.
    Haven't given up hope, but no success yet.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Please let us know how you did!

Sorry I've never been to the duct, but I can't imagine it's a lot different than fishing for stripers on the aqueduct-fed lakes, i.e. 200-300 grain shooting heads (as mentioned), and blue/white clousers. I've had some luck on the lakes with an all-white, mostly maribou fly I tied, similar to the ones people use to troll with.

I'd imagine it might be difficult to get a good backcast, though. But hmmm, spey casting might work well....
    Yeah, I'm thinking of using some early morning topwater and drifting some large baitfish patterns. We'll see what happens. Anybody know how to tie a fluke pattern? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Risso View Post
    Anybody know how to tie a fluke pattern? LOL!
    Try a small gummy:

Or even the infamous Puglisi threadfin:

Two excellent choices

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

Or even the infamous Puglisi threadfin:
    Curious -- why infamous?

I learned to tie them last year, they look so great. But I never really liked how they swim, they seemed to lay over on me. I must have had too much material on one side or another.

My grandpa use to fly fish the duct with great success, he slayed regularly. his recommendation use a 6 weight fly rod and flies that resemble brown locusts. He also said May might be a little late for the hatch, and then said with the mild winter the hatch might be a little late..........Hope this helps...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast