Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Sierra Opener

Supper excited for the Eastern Sierra Opener, myself and 2 of my best buddy's will be making our annual pilgrimage up there starting Thursday April 23 thru Monday April 27.....I cant tell ya'll just how special the Eastern Sierras are to me, I feel like I am in GODS country when I'm there, (almost like heaven) and I dread the return ride home south on the 395 every time!! Well, we plan on starting our fishing adventures Friday at PVR and Owns River just like everyone else because that's the best place to be the day before Opener.....PVR is usually a good time most of the day unless it gets HOT, those rock walls make it feel like an oven in that valley. My suggestion is to stay on the north side of the reservoir because there are more shade trees in that area and the fishing is always great. Saturday at 12:00 midnight you can find us at Intake II having our countdown 3...2..1.HAPPY FISHMAS EVERYONE! and it is usually in the pitch black freezing cold night....I hope there is a full moon this year...I can only hang for about an hour and then it is time for some shut eye in the truck until the sun peaks over those beautiful Easter Sierras. For the rest of that day we will be all over that area fishing North Lake, South Fork, North Fork and having a burger from Cardinal Village....OMG....one of the best burgers you will ever have and don't forget a slice of Apple Pie...Sunday is all about the June Lake Loop area, mostly Silver Lake and Rush Creek, most of the time the fishing is so good here I don't even know why I go anywhere else. Silver Lake is just a gem of a lake, I love being there first thing in the morning when the fog is still dancing off the top of the perfectly still water. Everything is so calm and peaceful, you can see the reflection of the surrounding mountains and trees and with any luck the bite will be on. I also recommend fishing Rush Creek in between Silver and Grant Lake, sometimes the Big Boys will swim downstream out of Silver and the stocking around the camping area is always good. If time always us later Sunday afternoon we will also try and fish Convict Lake before the sun goes down, sometimes you can get lucky a hook up to a nice 3-5 pounder that is cursing the shore line. The trout really like the areas right around any deep drop off, I think they feel protected and have a quick getaway to deeper waters if needed. Monday is a sad day just because it is time to go home, back to reality :( but that doesn't stop us from getting some last minute fishing in. Usually the plan is to stop at Erich Schat's Bakery and Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop before we hit the 395 south back home, both of these stores are must haves if you have never been. On our way home we will stop at Taboose Creek, (always great DFG stock fishing here) and a couple other super top secret fishing holes that I just cant give away. Lets just say we can limit out in about 5 minutes and the trout always seem to be about 2-3 pounds each......every fisherman has his holes.....Well guys and gals, thanks for reading and I hope everyone catches their trout of a lifetime this 2015 Eastern Sierra Opener! Fish Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Esquibel View Post
    Will be staying at the Tamarack lodge in mommoth fishing twin lakes for the first time
    Make sure you have chains and warm clothes. Its supposed to rain all weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44 View Post
    Make sure you have chains and warm clothes. Its supposed to rain all weekend!!
    I heard there may be rain and snow on Wednesday and Thursday but thanks for the heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by farhachris View Post
    I heard there may be rain and snow on Wednesday and Thursday but thanks for the heads up :)
    Looks like it cleared up just in time for the weekend..but you never know up there! Pumped up for some brown hunting!

Water level at Grant and Sabrina not looking good. WMD has been releasing water from Grant lake to send to Crowley and Mono Lake. Very low snow above Sabrina and South Lake both boat ramps high and dry. High water flow on the Upper Owens.

Grant Lake

Sabrina Lake

Sabrina actually looks better than it did early season last year. But looks can be deceiving. Problem of course what little snow there was much has already melted. I'll be hitting it early this year in 2nd week of June and will spend most of my time at Crowley I think.

So depressing.

Oh well have a great opener might be the best fishing of the year.

I will be swapping out the bass gear in the "Redneck Rocketship" for trout stuff when I make a run to Crowley in mid May. Nymphing under an indicator has been my go to when fishing Crowley early in the season, tuggin' a streamer later in the season along the weeds. Throwin' a fly from a bass boat, oh the horror.....lol

And yes you can catch a "Bigun" with that itty bitty (size 18) barbless nymph. lol

Streamers after the perch fry hatch later season and the indicator setup early on, yep that's the ticket! I prefer the freight train hits when stripping streamers from a tube during the barbless season but we'll be in a bass boat for the week I'm there in June so an indicator rig it will be. Got my under-cator's ready to go.

Also going up to Crowley with about 50 friends from 818 and fishing green banks with about 12 RVs and trailers on the hill above the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Sabrina actually looks better than it did early season last year. But looks can be deceiving. Problem of course what little snow there was much has already melted. I'll be hitting it early this year in 2nd week of June and will spend most of my time at Crowley I think.

So depressing.

Oh well have a great opener might be the best fishing of the year.
    Sabrina is definitely better now than last year and is actually not far from normal for opening weekend. Most people don't realize that Sabrina is always low for the opener because 90% of the time it's frozen and people don't notice stuff like that when they're ice fishing. I heard from SCE this week that the lake level will not peak quite as high as last year, but it will come up from where it is now...which bodes well for most of the summer. Fall might be pretty tough though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast