Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well its Been Nice

I'm the KING of making idiotic statement, so let me make one. I read this last night, it takes 660 gallons of water to make hamburger from 1 cow!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I'm the KING of making idiotic statement, so let me make one. I read this last night, it takes 660 gallons of water to make hamburger from 1 cow!!!!!!
    It also takes 30 gallons of water to make 1 glass of beer, and 63 gallons for 1 glass of wine.

I'll give up burgers when you all give up beer and wine!

We already knew you were an idiot, your tellin' us nothing new. You can have your Tofu USDA Prime beef charred rare rules in my house (1 1/2" thick Tomahawk Ribeye or baseball cut Filet Mignon). If you have to eat hamburger you should try it made with 50/50 95% lean hamburger and Hot Italian Sausage. I grind my own and on a Pretzel Bacon Bagel bun or Onion roll it's the bomb.

And it is a good point that agriculture takes up 70-80% of all water used in the state. Almonds alone use up 3.4 million acre-feet of water. And well over half of the almonds grown in CA is exported overseas.

To put that in perspective, the total water capacity of DVL, Castaic, Pyramid, Piru, Casitas, Cachuma, Silverood, and Perris combined is 2 million acre-feet of water.

In other words, the water used JUST for almonds that are EXPORTED is enough to fill all of the major Southern California reservoirs, with plenty left over.

Default It Is Time....

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Since the drought is limited to just the southern half of the state I think we should reconsider spending 60 BILLION on high speed rail. For much less money we could revamp the whole water delivery system and recoup a bunch of the water being dumped back into the Pacific Ocean north of us..... and save the smelt in the process.
    P.A.W.,

This is an excellent suggestion and a very logical solution: Solves water shortage problems during drought periods, puts people back to work, provides for long term stability for the farmers, fisherman and people in general. Unfortunately "Governor Moonbeam" has taken too much money from the High Speed Rail proponents and has been smoking too much of his wacky weed to turn back now.

I think a voter initiative is called for to overturn his folly, (the High Speed Rail, which it won't be), and provide a common sense solution for the situation!

Lol, yup. I'm convinced you are a direct relative of Joe Biden...

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    And it is a good point that agriculture takes up 70-80% of all water used in the state. Almonds alone use up 3.4 million acre-feet of water. And well over half of the almonds grown in CA is exported overseas.

To put that in perspective, the total water capacity of DVL, Castaic, Pyramid, Piru, Casitas, Cachuma, Silverood, and Perris combined is 2 million acre-feet of water.

In other words, the water used JUST for almonds that are EXPORTED is enough to fill all of the major Southern California reservoirs, with plenty left over.
    One small problem your leaving out of your theory is DVL, Castaic, etc doesn't contribute billion dollars of economy to the state and its buainess like Almonds do

Kind of hard thing to argue logic of that just to be able to fish

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    One small problem your leaving out of your theory is DVL, Castaic, etc doesn't contribute billion dollars of economy to the state and its buainess like Almonds do

Kind of hard thing to argue logic of that just to be able to fish
    No doubt, almonds bring in billions of dollars to the state, $11 billiion or so each year, and certainly is worth far more than recreational freshwater fishing. But there has to be a balance between the two. We can't sell out ALL our resources just for profit. And $11 billion is still only 0.5% of the total California industrial output.

And not picking on just almonds, I know that's an important crop to folks in the central valley, and lots of mom and pop farms grow them to supplement their income. It bothers me that people seem to focus on lawns and pools (I don't have either) as the problem, and lose sight of the perspective of overall water use in the state. Residential outdoor water usage is about 5%, vs. agriculture water use at over 70%. We could let all lawns go brown, and all pools go empty, and it would barely make a dent in the water situation.

Last edited by shinbob; 03-18-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    No doubt, almonds bring in billions of dollars to the state, $11 billiion or so each year, and certainly is worth far more than recreational freshwater fishing. But there has to be a balance between the two. We can't sell out ALL our resources just for profit. And $11 billion is still only 0.5% of the total California industrial output.

And not picking on just almonds, I know that's an important crop to folks in the central valley, and lots of mom and pop farms grow them to supplement their income. It bothers me that people seem to focus on lawns and pools (I don't have either) as the problem, and lose sight of the perspective of overall water use in the state. Residential outdoor water usage is about 5%, vs. agriculture water use at over 70%. We could let all lawns go brown, and all pools go empty, and it would barely make a dent in the water situation.

Excellent info, and well thought out arguments.

Cal ag is 44.7 billion... largest by far.

as I stated earlier it's all of Californias problem.

The population of So cal is growing exponentially and I personally feel there should be a moritorium on fallow land turned into ag.

As I said earlier.. water storage is the problem. We need more reservoirs to capture the rain and snow in wet years period!.

From booming city growth to Ag usage to conservation.. the water is there and flowing into the ocean we just need to capture more of it and be more responsibe on its usage

Facts are facts
    Last edited by cutbait; 03-18-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast