Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Well its Been Nice

But rich folk need to play golf and don't care, sprinklers on while raining or most of the water running down driveways anoys the hell out of me.
    I'm just saying we need to be part of the solution as well. Not just blame everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
    ...we're dumping 80% of our water to raise McBurgers and almonds
    I think somebody else mentioned that 80% goes to agriculture, and when someone else mentioned perhaps not eating so many cows or perhaps not growing so many crops that require a disproportionate amount of water for the revenue they bring, they got ridiculed.

In any case, here's a good read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...r-saga/284009/

Great read Shadow,I learned to fish on the delta,an amazing place,even caught Salmon from the bank at that Clifton Court Fore bay ,Really shows how intertwined our water is!
    Thanks for posting it!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I think somebody else mentioned that 80% goes to agriculture, and when someone else mentioned perhaps not eating so many cows or perhaps not growing so many crops that require a disproportionate amount of water for the revenue they bring, they got ridiculed.
    I wouldn't mind it as much if all that water was used for agriculture for all of our needs -- we require food after all, and California grows the best crops in the nation. I do take issue, though, with how much water is basically being exported overseas via crops. Literally hundreds of billions of gallons of water are sent to China, UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26124989

The United Arab Emirates realized that it is a tremendous waste of water to grow alfalfa in the desert, and does not allow farmers to do so. So where do they get their alfalfa? The California desert, i.e. the Imperial Valley. They pour 5 feet of water per year onto their land to grow crops in the freaking 110 degree heat, and more than 50% of the alfalfa is exported.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...g-export-asia/

Have you seen aerial photos of the Imperial Valley? Check out google maps sometime. This is just one section, the right half is how the land should look, and the left half shows how it does look after all that water has been used:

Of course, some people will shout about all the JOBS! that are being generated, but really, jobs for whom? Think about it. Are you going to harvest crops when it's 105+ degrees out there, all day, for minimum wage or less, and no benefits or job security? I'd rather work at Starbucks. Well, okay, maybe not Starbucks...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910