Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New Wild Trout Fishing Report + Video

1. Default New Wild Trout Fishing Report + Video

Took a trip up to a favorite, secret trout stream in the local mountains here in SoCal. I was curious to see how the creek was faring after the recent rain (thanks!). It was great to see the creek was flowing well, ice cold crystal clear water pouring throughout. However, the dry summer had left plenty of sand and silt to wash into the creek. Most of my old favorite pools were much, much smaller now and water really wasn't collecting in the right places to allow the trout to thrive. Fish were very few and far between; caught 3 in several hours of hiking and fishing. In the past, the same stream would have yielded 15+ fish in such time. Certainly a sign of the times.

Not a long video by any means, but captured a little of the creek for your enjoyment. Fish released safely.

However, all is not lost. Should we continue to receive rain, I would anticipate at least some of the debris would be cleaned out and the pools eventually re-form. It will take time but these trout should eventually come back

Yeah....the locals are taking a real beating. Many of the smaller tribs have dried up completely in the San Bernardinos. Talking with one of the Hydrologists (who also is a fisherman) that works in a local forest and he is very concerned with the silting and resulting heating of much of the water in several streams. He estimates with long term weather projections is that we will continue to lose fishable areas until we receive substantial rain and snow pack. This is the driest year (out of five drought years) since 1895. Areas that used have many wild fish per mile are now barren with just sandy reaches collecting moss and aquatic plants. Many of the local tribs that used to sustain wild fish are also barren because of a lack of water. Most of the folks I fish with are fishing lakes or going to the Eastern Sierra to get our trout fix.

Picked a great time to get into fly fishing!

My 'local' creek seems to have water year around. I wonder if natural springs assist with that.

Long term and weather predictions just don't belong in the same sentence.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Long term and weather predictions just don't belong in the same sentence.

Glad y'all liked it.