Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/15

I fish irvine quite a bit their are a lot of fish in that lake saturday 3-14 was not my day I got the hose like a dog in heat launch boat forget net go back for net get net almost get to spot to have the fuel fitting in carb fall out fixed that.then drifted night crawlers and got both rods so tangled in old line on the bottom had to retie everthing . then the wind changing direction about 100 times and then bone heads in the pontoon boat stopping 20yards from me and trowing thier anchors in the water with a giant splash . oh yeah almost getting run over by some brainiac at the launch ramp. oh well see you next week if the weather cools off and i can get the skunk off . I thought I was having a bad day till I found out about the wreck on the road outside the gate anyday on the water is better than a car wreck and somedays I dont care what you due or ware you due it things arn't going to go your way .

I for one have come to expect a skunk on a real hot day during trout season at pay lakes. To go along with that, I went 3 years with zero Irvine skunks, in all kinds of weather. I troll 99% of the time, and back then there was always a bite. I even got bit in July! The lake was at full pool and there were lots of coves and humps to explore. Starting last season, the epic bite for me was gone. I had my first Irvine skunk last year, then another, then another. Far fewer bites overall. This season has been worse. How about a trout skunk at the opener, when it's usually easy limit style without trying? I have more skunks since Nov. 2014 than I have trout on the stringer. I do not attribute this to the staff or the lake at all. This is due to depressing water levels, and massive high pressure heat waves over the last 2 seasons. We have had summers cooler than the past 2 Januarys.
    That being said, I understand your point about the lagoon report. It's their job to hype the lake, right or wrong. The people that do get lucky and catch something will brag about it at the tackle shop. Myself, and I'm guessing many others who get skunked, just leave with their tails between their legs and chalk it up to experience and a nice sunny day on the water at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzfish View Post
    If you haven't been to Irvine in years then you've already seen how much it has change, not in term of service, but in water level condition. I've been coming to this lake since 2005 when the water was fulled. Just about half of the lake is gone. The fishing has been up and down and it all depends on the day that you go. You and your group happened to came on a very hot day and the bite was tough. I don't know what time you arrived but recently most fish on shore are caught very early and the bite will fizzle very quick. Most bites happened on West shore or trout island like other reports have said. This is a pay lake and the cost is high to some people, but it's similar to other pay lakes and is justifiable when you really think the cost for staff, fuel, stocking, and others that are necessity to maintain the lake.

Sandman - I like this lake because of the people that fish it and the staff. The fishing can be very good if you put in time to find them. Troutdog spent countless days there that's why he can catch all those fish. If you want to give this lake another try, I'll cover the entrance fee for you and 4 other people in your group (just private message me). Forget the kid lagoon, I never fish that area, but I'll tell you exactly where I fish and message Troutdog and he'll tell you his areas.

FYI...I am not in anyway associated with Irvine lake. Just someone who fish the lake sometimes.
    First class right there. Someone who cares that you have a good time sandman. Sorry to hear about your tough trip.
    None of us like to leave skunked. I think this is why so many guys like to fish Irvine. Just a bunch of good guys getting
    Together having good laughs and catching fish.

Having a network of guys who share info together always makes it more enjoyable and helpful on key info.

I wish fishing was always easy. I have fish quite a bit myself and have had exceptional days, decent days, so-so days
    And even skunks. I guess it's all part of the learning curve. I know some people can't fish as much with work family life etc..
    So there's more pressure on that once in awhile fishing trip to catch fish.

Maybe you should take advantage of people reaching out to you for future trip tips? Maybe it will help?

I know at the very least you bound to meet a bunch of great people. Heck, to me that's worth more then catching a fish.

Good luck!
    And sorry again to hear about your bad trip.

Agreed! Zzzfish's offer is an awesome display of his character. Money is not my main concern here. I want to make clear that I have been skunked many times before, without any thought of posting negative reviews on here. I do think it's a shame for Irvine Lake to promote their Kids Lagoon, their hefty stocking, and post reports of success at the Lagoon when that clearly is not the case. The report by Steve Carson dated 3/15 says families did well on fish from 1-4 pounds in the Lagoon.
    Maybe I'm the one not thinking clearly. A Kid's Lagoon should be for kids to catch fish? A hefty stocking for a major tournament just a few days prior should ensure that fish are in the Lagoon? Like I said, I didn't see a single fish caught in that Lagoon on Sunday. If I had seen a single fish caught by a kid on Sunday I probably wouldn't be writing this. Unfortunately, that wasnt the case.

Santa ana conditions = bad fishing in many lakes for trout, see Big Bear lake for an example. Some don't have the option of waiting for a rare outing to time weather, crowds, stockings etc.. That's fishing, can't tell you how many skunks I take in a year of course most of that isn't for trout. To expect anything other than positive reports from employees of a pay to fish lake will always be a mistake. Do you think that if you called a lake on a Friday about actual fishing conditions that they would then say "I wouldn't come this weekend hot weather and Santa Ana winds usually mean bad fishing from shore"? The concern I do understand though is a report of great fishing when it did not exist although I think I read you fished Sunday and Jimmy made the point of pressure being an issue. The largemouth I'm sure felt that pressure also.

Popular lake lot's of people fishing, there is a reason why it's a popular lake with lot's of people fishing every weekend, it can't all be bad.
    Last edited by seal; 03-17-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kids lagoon.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	45950
    my son and daughter fished the lagoon on Saturday March 14th for 1 hour after fishing the main lake for the tournament they got 3 fish total this being the biggest 3.9 lbs the trick in the lagoon 6 inch leaders fish are at the bottom hiding from the birds.. better luck next time give a another try .
    Last edited by rich3913; 03-17-2015 at 08:21 AM.

We'll, I will call out a business if I feel I've been duped by them. Perhaps more people should. It's an absolute lie to post a report dated 3/15 saying families did well in the Lagoon on fish from 1-4 pounds.

Rich- glad you and your kids had some luck. We did fish with short leaders as described. Nobody caught fish in that Lagoon on Sunday, not just us, nobody.
    Last edited by Sandman; 03-17-2015 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    We'll, I will call out a business if I feel I've been duped by them. Perhaps more people should. It's an absolute lie to post a report dated 3/15 saying families did well in the Lagoon on fish from 1-4 pounds.
    I'm sorry but it appears you keep glossing over the fact Saturday might have been better than Sunday and that report might actually be valid for Saturday which makes it a fact and not a lie.

And it appears you are glossing over the fact that it's a a Kids Lagoon where kids should catch fish. Tell an entire group of kids (30 plus) that fishing was better the day before. I'm over it man.

here some proof the reports are right on ! my kids prefer the big lake now but these are all out of the lagoon ! keep the faith its fishing some times are better than others keep trying you will have sucsess!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lagoon pic.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	45951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	michael sam.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	45952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sama mike.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	45953

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast