Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/15

Default 3/15

My brother is in town from NY. Took him and his kids, along with my 2 kids to the kids lagoon this morning. In the water before sunrise. Fished until 1100. 0 bites, saw 0 fish landed. Sad thing about was the Boy Scout group with 30 or so who hadn't caught anything either. I saw 1 guy hook up, an Irvine Lake employee, but he lost it. Guys in group next to me, 3 guys with their 6 kids had 0 too.
    Went over to Santiago Flats after giving up on the Lagoon. Went to the end of the road (by RC) track. Set up for an hour or so for nada. Kids were going crazy so they ran around the shore asking if anyone was catching. No fish in that area either.
    Off to the West Shore for an hour or so. Met up with a cool, older Asain guy. White Toyota truck( forgot name). He'd been there all day with 0 fish. Kids ran around and asked around. A couple people had 1 or 2 fish.

Called it a day around 1:30 as everyone was frustrated, myself included. Checked in at the kids lagoon and still, 0 fish there from the guys next to me. Didnt check on the Boy Scouts but the guys that were next to us said they hadn't caught any either.

It's been years since I've posted or even followed these Forums (FNN since 2004). I hadn't been to Irvine in years until a few months ago. Been 3 times(including today) in 2015 and I'm incredibly dissapointed with the fishing. The reviews on here are like 90% Irvine staff, similar to "Bangin' Bob's" SARL spam from years ago.

I know fishing is fishing, not catching. 3/10 stocking this week and apparently everyone was skunked out at the kid's lagoon. I have a hard time believing that. Went into the tackle shop and spoke with 2 ladies at the register to find out if any big fish had come in. Older lady was nice, said she has no idea how fishing has been since she's been inside all day. I told her the Lagoon is horrible today, she says it was just stocked, but with the wrong fish. I ask her to explain. She says they accidentally stocked the Lagoon on Weds with 10-12 pounders. I laugh and walk out.
    Last edited by Sandman; 03-15-2015 at 07:52 PM.

That's too bad man, its expensive to fish there.Hopefully you will have Better luck next time

Sorry to hear about the rough day, the heat REALLY put a damper on the lagoon fishing this weekend. (I'm sure your brother from back East loved the 90 degree weather, but the majority of the trout sure didn't) We got out there from 8-noon this morning and found some willing participants.

A great day at the lake despite the heat! Feel free to PM me before your next trip and I'll see if the guys and I can help steer you in the right direction....we're always out there and love to see others catch fish, especially the kids!

TD
    Last edited by troutdog; 03-15-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know the heat had a lot to do with it. Just to be fair to the lake, I went on Friday and an "epic" day. Sparsely crowded because of the heat, I started at 6:30 and had my limit from the West Shore by 8:30 with some nice size fish. The day was certainly the best day I have ever had at Irvine. Hope you get them next time.

LT

I told her the Lagoon is horrible today, she says it was just stocked, but with the wrong fish. I ask her to explain. She says they accidentally stocked the Lagoon on Weds with 10-12

We stocked the lagoon with fish in the 2-8lb class not 10-12lbs. Also I saw a few people catch fish in the lagoon on Saturday with short leaders and white powerbait. The lagoon is traditionally a little more stained than the main lake so brighter colored powerbaits or lures doused in scent are the key in there.
    Also you fished after a MAJOR tournament and the fish where very pressured. When it is really hot like that I generally recommend that people rent a boat that way they can move around and find the fish. I know some of the guys on here had a pretty good day on Sunday in Sierra Cove.
    Also there are a lot of reports on Facebook from members in here that can be found. Myself and Daniela (vineline) post a lot in here because we have been with FNN for a LONG time. I want to say 10yrs. Its part of my daily routine at work to check in here.
    If you ever have questions feel free to find me or message me on here or at the Irvine Lakes facebook page. I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Older lady, not young blonde, working the register said 10-12's in Lagoon.

I too have been on FNN for a LONG TIME, since 2004. I remember many great events put on at Irvine by Jeff Sun years ago. I haven't been to Irvine in prob 5 years though. Started going again in January 2015 and it's been a disappointment to say the least.

I love the report posted this morning saying families did well in Lagoon. Really? Funny, Mr. Carson must not have been there yesterday to see 30 plus kids and their families get skunked in the kid's lagoon.

Irvine Lake staff was eager to tell tales of epic fishing over the phone and while paying for fishing passes. That optimism turned to excuses like, heat, birds, tourney, low water, stained water, stocking errors etc. Thanks for the offer to answer questions but I'll pass.

I love how the after the fact recommendation involves a boat(more $$ for Irvine Lake) and success in a location I could not verify myself. Well played.

I've never posted a thread bashing a lake like this before. However, I know what I was told by staff on the phone, in person, and now online. Thanks but no thanks Irvine. I'm not buying what you're selling.

Troutdog- Nice job out there. Your group has many more fish than I saw the entire day. Well done sir. Sierra Cove in a boat by chance? Hahahahahahahaha
    Last edited by Sandman; 03-16-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Older lady, not young blonde, working the register said 10-12's in Lagoon.

I too have been on FNN for a LONG TIME, since 2004. I remember many great events put on at Irvine by Jeff Sun years ago. I haven't been to Irvine in prob 5 years though. Started going again in January 2015 and it's been a disappointment to say the least.

I love the report posted this morning saying families did well in Lagoon. Really? Funny, Mr. Carson must not have been there yesterday to see 30 plus kids and their families get skunked in the kid's lagoon.

Irvine Lake staff was eager to tell tales of epic fishing over the phone and while paying for fishing passes. That optimism turned to excuses like, heat, birds, tourney, low water, stained water, stocking errors etc. Thanks for the offer to answer questions but I'll pass.
    I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. I view the pay lakes like women, if someone would ask me what's your favorite hair color for women I would say blonde. If a very sweet brunette or red hair girl showed me a lot of interest guess what????? I would soon have a new favorite hair color of women. My point is all the pay lakes can produce a good experience. The best intell is from someone who just went fishing there. I get pm's all the time from people who are looking for pointers on a lake I just fished. I love fishing for trout in all the pay lakes and I like writing reports. My problem this year is those Big stupid yellowtail keep biting off our coast. Which has the negative effect of keeping me away from the trout fishing. I heard about those white trout there stocking this week at Irvine and makes me want to try to figure out a way to go. If my charter to Catalina some how fizzles out this week, I'll be going to Irvine and write a first person fish report. Hopefully, I can help some other people improve their fishing.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-16-2015 at 11:39 AM.

I was out there on the 14th ( Saturday ) and found some bass without a problem but this lake is a joke. I honestly would recommend going elsewhere.. 60 bucks for 2 people and a boat is crazy to fish that little puddle! this was my first trip in a few months and now I remember why! what makes me laugh the most is they charge 10 bucks to launch a boat but cant provide a decent launch ramp or even a launch ramp?? this place is all about the money and that being said they will tell you what ever it takes to get into your wallet. I took a friend who went fishing for her first time that day and she managed a few small bass but all in all its not a good place to go and take first timers.... Wish they had a decent launch ramp and made reduced rate for bass guys...

If you haven't been to Irvine in years then you've already seen how much it has change, not in term of service, but in water level condition. I've been coming to this lake since 2005 when the water was fulled. Just about half of the lake is gone. The fishing has been up and down and it all depends on the day that you go. You and your group happened to came on a very hot day and the bite was tough. I don't know what time you arrived but recently most fish on shore are caught very early and the bite will fizzle very quick. Most bites happened on West shore or trout island like other reports have said. This is a pay lake and the cost is high to some people, but it's similar to other pay lakes and is justifiable when you really think the cost for staff, fuel, stocking, and others that are necessity to maintain the lake.

Sandman - I like this lake because of the people that fish it and the staff. The fishing can be very good if you put in time to find them. Troutdog spent countless days there that's why he can catch all those fish. If you want to give this lake another try, I'll cover the entrance fee for you and 4 other people in your group (just private message me). Forget the kid lagoon, I never fish that area, but I'll tell you exactly where I fish and message Troutdog and he'll tell you his areas.

FYI...I am not in anyway associated with Irvine lake. Just someone who fish the lake sometimes.

Zzzfish- Thank you for the response. Your offer is very kind, yet completely unnecessary. We had our lines in the water before the sun was up. There was never a morning bite. I wouldn't have posted my report if we had seen anything being caught in that kids lagoon. We were directed to fish there by an Irvine staffer when we arrived. That same staffer then recommended the Flats area and the West shore. I think its funny that Sierra Cove is the after the fact spot now.
    I'm glad you've had good experiences there recently as I have not. I remember years ago I would have never spoken poorly of Irvine Lake as I have many fond memories of fishing there. Things appear to have changed. I feel bad for all of the kids out there, especially the large Boy Scout group.
    The kicker is the Irvine report posted today saying families did well in the Lagoon. I cant respect that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast