Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Brought the long rods out today !! Great time !

Default Brought the long rods out today !! Great time !

Finally got a chance to go fishing, hit the local spot with my girlfriend.
    Got there around 6 so maybe had an hour left before sunset.. We were talking like we haven't got any fish from the shore in a long time. So I look at her like wtf your killing the moment. Haha.. About 20 minutes before sunset the 12' footer starts screaming!!! Got a good hook up and Game over from there, nearly spoiled me and I had the reel pretty much button downed.. About minutes later the biggest bat Ray I have ever caught finally shows her self... Was trying to get her to the sand and maybe 3 feet from actually getting her out of the water line breaks..boy was it a great fight.. I personally prefer bringing the long rods instead of the swimbaits, luckycrafts etc
    Great sunset and great fishing !!
    Rod used was 12' t blade
    Reel penn spin fisher 4500LL (poor reel) gave her a work out at all full drag
    Bat Ray Easily 120lb+

Great way to test the gear!

Cya Tuna Vic

Very cool....

Sucks about the line but great first shot of the bendo action along with the sun setting!!!

Tony g
    Last edited by Fishingdachronarch201E7; 03-14-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Way to put a GOOD bend in the rod. Great sunset battle shots. Sorry it broke off, but just call it a quick release.

Don

Love the bendo shots. Always get the heart pumping. Funny how you always feel like you have got that bat landed and then they just kinda glue themselves to the sand in the skinny and get five times heavier....LOL
    Sorry about the loss but like Don said..... It was just a short distance release and you avoided the dreaded "Bat Slime".

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys
    I guess u win some and loose some I

Hi ya Jesus805,

I really liked your read, I believe we've all been there and have felt what you described in your posting.

WOW!! 120+ on the B-ray ... a trophy Ray! Next time I'm sure.
    I have to ask ...... how old was your line, was your line too light, and what type and what strength test did you use?

All-in-all ... an hour well spent and I'm certain that your gal sees you clearly as .... "the guy that can catch fish"!
    One more thing ..... GREAT bent rod shots ... you were definitely putting the wood to that Ray!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan ~~~ <"))>< ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya Jesus805,

I really liked your read, I believe we've all been there and have felt what you described in your posting.

WOW!! 120+ on the B-ray ... a trophy Ray! Next time I'm sure.
    I have to ask ...... how old was your line, was your line too light, and what type and what strength test did you use?

All-in-all ... an hour well spent and I'm certain that your gal sees you clearly as .... "the guy that can catch fish"!
    One more thing ..... GREAT bent rod shots ... you were definitely putting the wood to that Ray!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan ~~~ <"))>< ~~~
    Thanks for the kind words my friend
    I was using 25lb maxima and it only had a few sessions.
    Honestly I butten down the drag almost all the way down like I had it probably at 12lb starting and it was not stopping what's so ever and I buttoned down when I was Almost spooled.. Poor reel, was the first time I actually felt a reel that got warm. I was pulling/holding as hard as I could
    I have a video for about 15 minutes but was kinda ****** quality, and for the first 20-30 seconds spooled at least 80% off
    This Ray no joke
    Last edited by Jesus805; 03-16-2015 at 09:11 PM.

The first pic is frame worthy!
    Thats a sweet bendo shot.
    Bones is right, those batrays get extra heavy once they hit the sand.
    And then, the only way of moving it away from the water is by sticking your fingers in its nose haha.