Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When will it end

The Belding Ground Squirrel in California and Oregon is a pest causing millions of dollars in damage to farmers. There is open season and no limit on them as they are classified as varmints/pests.They are so prolific that several areas in California and Oregon have Chamber of Commerce sponsored Ground Squirrel hunts. I have been to the one in Surprise Valley California a number of years ago. Hunt is limited of 100 hunters and thousands of ground squirrels are eliminated from farmers fields and still there were many thousands left. It was not unusual to take 200 or more in a day of shooting. The winning team (2 hunters) had over 900 in an 8 hour hunt. The video is an example of the quantity of squirrels a hunter can expect. Picture a pickup truck bed overflowing with ground squirrels and that is what the winning team looked like.

Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 04-03-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    The Belding Ground Squirrel in California and Oregon is a pest causing millions of dollars in damage to farmers. There is open season and no limit on them as they are classified as varmints/pests.They are so prolific that several areas in California and Oregon have Chamber of Commerce sponsored Ground Squirrel hunts. I have been to the one in Surprise Valley California a number of years ago. Hunt is limited of 100 hunters and thousands of ground squirrels are eliminated from farmers fields and still there were many thousands left. It was not unusual to take 200 or more in a day of shooting. The winning team (2 hunters) had over 900 in an 8 hour hunt. The video is an example of the quantity of squirrels a hunter can expect. Picture a pickup truck bed overflowing with ground squirrels and that is what the winning team looked like.

Thank you for posting that video. Reminds me of the great times I had splatting ground squirrels on my buddies ranch. The springtime was the best, when the small ones came out....nice small moving targets at 600-800 yards perfect for a Remington 700 .223 with a Mark IV scope with mil dots.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234