Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Early Inyo opener

Default Early Inyo opener

Well it seemed like the early opener had a perfect turnout. Lake Diaz was almost elbow to elbow, with most catching fish and smiles on there faces. Daytime temps were in the 80's and overnite in the mid 30's, and a small breeze once in awhile. The streams were very low, but heavily stocked in the pools, and averaged 12 in or better. I fished the lone pine creek and had my limit in two hours, all at one spot, my smallest was 13 in, and one 15 in. All in all it was epic, just getting out of Dodge. I heard the derby was won by someone from Ventura for the longest stringer.

Quote Originally Posted by hrnytoad102 View Post
    I heard the derby was won by someone from Ventura for the longest stringer.
    Longest stringer? Hell I have one 25 feet or more in length. Should have entered the tournament.

Thanks for the report!

some of the trout derbys have the longest trout divison......lake Isabella and some of the others up there...I fished the tinnemaha..........

As OLD as I am ... I should know better. I know the "opener" is the last sat in April ... when is the early opener? And where exactly are the boundaries?
    Thanks MUCH for the info. I had only heard it was areas west of 495 near Lone Pine Wish I knew where my reg book was ... and then I wouldn't need to ask

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by hrnytoad102 View Post
    Well it seemed like the early opener had a perfect turnout. Lake Diaz was almost elbow to elbow, with most catching fish and smiles on there faces. Daytime temps were in the 80's and overnite in the mid 30's, and a small breeze once in awhile. The streams were very low, but heavily stocked in the pools, and averaged 12 in or better. I fished the lone pine creek and had my limit in two hours, all at one spot, my smallest was 13 in, and one 15 in. All in all it was epic, just getting out of Dodge. I heard the derby was won by someone from Ventura for the longest stringer.
    Interesting ... I never knew Diaz had much fishing going on. Does it slow down a lot as the temps go up ???

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    As OLD as I am ... I should know better. I know the "opener" is the last sat in April ... when is the early opener? And where exactly are the boundaries?
    Thanks MUCH for the info. I had only heard it was areas west of 495 near Lone Pine Wish I knew where my reg book was ... and then I wouldn't need to ask

Sorry
    The early trout opener is the first Saturday in March for the streams /creeks west of Hwy 395 and south of Independence... Sadly there is very little water in the bodies of water you can fish

Quote Originally Posted by retired96 View Post
    The early trout opener is the first Saturday in March for the streams /creeks west of Hwy 395 and south of Independence... Sadly there is very little water in the bodies of water you can fish
    Thanks for the info r96 . you're always so helpful

Billy, the inyo early opener begins on the first Saturday in March, this has been going on for decades, this is only in Inyo county, reason being is businesses along 395 were having a hard time over Winter to stay afloat, so they came up with this idea, which and now you know the rest of the story. Also there is a derby at Lake Diaz, which gets over 1000 dollar prize.