Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally found the fish, Epic day in the surf.

Default Finally found the fish, Epic day in the surf.

Okaaay , Don't really know how to start, this report is not going to be picture filled, as i tend to be clumsy with my vids and pics and give off not just my, but I'm going to say our spots, our standing for the people that do "get it". It's not easy doing a LOT of research and searching , putting in endless hours and days to scout areas and locate THE AO's and then get them hammered with 20 sticks a day because of a pic or vid and so on ....

Nooooow for the goodies, my favorite locations have just been overwhelmed with bait for about a week and fishing has been tough, every time i have hit the surf last week or so I've had the feeling that the fish had moved back in , i just knew they were around. Today was the day, i finished off a job at Topanga Cyn around 12:45 , checked the forecasts and immediately opened my trunk took out my 2 piece rod put it together (the rod that broke on a monster leopard a week back), tied everything up and put on a metallic ayu pattern 110, Checked if i had everything i needed , put everything back in the car , and rolled down to my AO which i decided to fish because of a 3ft incoming tide. i hit the water around 1:10 or so all ready and geared up , first glance was both disappointing and appealing at the same time, Grass , not the little strands or pieces but rather big lumps both eelgrass and kelp, but crystal clear water. Started fan casting and walking south , around 3, 4 casts in and about a 100 steps down kelp completely cleared up and i see fish around and a lot , thank god for polarized glasses, Shovelnose , corbina, and many and much more . At this point i am already just stoked to see all this life back , and happy as ever , when suddenly this beautiful kitty comes out of the trench, my estimate is around 5 ft. i start following it and finishing up my retrieve to cast to it . it was swimming so majestically it was unreal , you could almost sense its attitude , this was not just another leopard by the look in her eye. There is a lot of controversy whether leopards will hit artificials or not , many people say no , and some like me know they will if it is presented in the proper manner, just like Shovelnose guitarfish !. It only took me 3 casts to hook this bad girl , First cast landed maybe 5-10 ft in front of her and got chased all the way to my rod tip until i paused my bait like an idiot , She turned and continued in sight , 2nd cast she snouted it and some how didn't get hooked , but i felt the tension and she just didn't care . i thought that would be it , and it was my last chance , she appeared again , 3rd cast landed 15 ft ahead of her and maybe a couple feet to her left , 4 fast cranks and what i saw can't really be described in words, i wish i had my go pro on , but sadly i didn't . The Kitty jumps completely out of the water with my metallic ayu pinned on her face before i could even think about a hook set because she was peeling and jumped around 6 or 7 times .
    Now for some more epicness , after getting sanded off by a jumper leopard that got itself tangled in my fluorocarbon, i decide to just let it go , and calm down , i could have landed it if i wasn't fiddling with my go pro to make sure its on for a couple seconds , i had loosened the drag at the time so the fish could take drag at will and thats when it got itself tangled while jumping . Anyway, little did i know what awaited me after that bad girl , after retie-ing and a half a mile walk located another magnificent stretch of beach with a trench like no other , little grassy but , you have to do what you have to do, Decided to switch it up and tied on a Slender pointer 127 , this is a little deeper diving bait and ideal for nice trenchy beaches ,after about a dozen croaker and perch i feel that thump and than it starts shaking , 22' Flatty hits the sand like it wanted to . back she went right away. Next cast and I'm blessed with a Calico basstard ! I love Calicos. at this point it just goes wild , smelt, croaker, perch, calico , smelt, croaker, perch, calico .
    Calico's were all in the 12-15' range , croaker 15-20', perch 10-15. I was speechless and hungry, but i just couldnt leave after the next short flattie.
    30 minutes or so and i get that thump we all love again , and bendo , this guy put a little more effort in compared to the 22" er , and was on the sand in no time 23.5' on the dot , back she went immediately . I was happy is to say the least, i game my thank you's to mother nature, and my sorry's for leaving a Metallic ayu Fm110 pinned on a leopards face , i hope she gets free of that fish catching machine as soon as possible and thrives.

Tight lines Everyone,
    Edgar
    Last edited by Edgar; 03-11-2015 at 08:26 PM.

good write up

Hi Edgar:

What a joyful report. It's been a long time since we have gotten to hear about some real fish "noise" + big bait presence along our stretch of beach (probably since last December or even November). I am glad you got to experience it. You deserve it after all the time and hours you put in. Cool kitty vid!!! I want to commend you on your filing/editing in not revealing much except a cranky fish (although I still could tell cuz there was still a hint in the vid but that's really cuz I know the area but I aint telling shhhhhh).

Great job my friend,

Nick
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 03-11-2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar: "I got gooder grammar than you gots"

Epic indeed! Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    Hi Edgar:

What a joyful report. It's been a long time since we have gotten to hear about some real fish "noise" + big bait presence along our stretch of beach (probably since last December or even November). I am glad you got to experience it. You deserve it after all the time and hours you put in. Cool kitty vid!!! I want to commend you on your filing/editing in not revealing much except a cranky fish (although I still could tell cuz there was still a hint in the vid but that's really cuz I know the area but I aint telling shhhhhh).

Great job my friend,

Nick
    Hey there Nick , hope your doing well ,
    Haha ))) damn , come on are you kidding me ? I have just recently stumbled over there accidentally thinking it might be good , lets just say i got LUCKY . Im happy its you that noticed the spot at least, and hope no one else really know's the 'area'. Anyway good luck out there, it was trashed when i was leaving.
    Tight lines ,
    Edgar

Quote Originally Posted by ichthus View Post
    Epic indeed! Nice!
    "Glad you injured it".

don't know how that happened but glad you enjoyed it
    Last edited by Edgar; 03-11-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: injured it

That's a fantastic surf episode...congrats!

Sounds like you got into a nice open bite!
    Hope you some time to get back out there soon!
    Thanks for the report and congrats on the nice assortment of fish not to mention a couple legals and a big leo.
    Action packed session for sure

-Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dlmoo312 View Post
    Sounds like you got into a nice open bite!
    Hope you some time to get back out there soon!
    Thanks for the report and congrats on the nice assortment of fish not to mention a couple legals and a big leo.
    Action packed session for sure

-Daniel
    Hey there Daniel, I always give it my best , I was more then blessed , and hope the fish stay around . Thanx for looking and hope you get on them soon !
    Tight lines,
    Edgar

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    That's a fantastic surf episode...congrats!
    Thank you Stumpknocker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast