My good friend Eric and I got a chance to fish El Cap yesterday with 4 dozen jumbo Shiners. It all started with a three am wake up call. Four thirty I met up with Eric in San Marcos and we drove out to the lake with his Flats boat. We launched and headed out across the lake. It looked like a half scoop of an Anchovies in the bait tank. We hit some high spots and metered lots of fish in the lower lake but the 58 degree water along with the full moon seemed to put the fish off. The Shiners were active and swam straight down when fly-lined. Not a bite. We worked the main lake points up the long narrow lake. The water temp. rose as the sun got higher as well as the water became shallower. At mid-lake there were giant balls of shad near the bottom right in the middle of the lake. We spooned it for a long time snagging several shad. Nothing. There were a series of rocky steep areas punctuated with likely spawning coves. Eric was there first to score a nice fat El Cap Crappie. Skunk off the next cove produced a three pound bass on a swimbait. No more fish in the 65 degree green tinged water, we headed back down the lake. Right across from the launch ramp on the other side of the lake was a large compound cove. A big cove with two smaller coves inset. The wind was up and driving water past the cove with a nice eddy forming on the South side. This is where it turned fun. We dropped anchor up in ten feet of water and let the wind blow us out into the middle of the cove. The depth was 22 feet and marks all over the meter. No shad ball anywhere. Instant double hook up. It was already 2 pm as we settled into a nice pick bite fly-lining these big Shiners. I was fishing my light rod with with six pound as it seemed to get bit more than the ten pound. We were both using number 4 eagle Claw circle hooks and only two fish were hooked deep and required pliers to remove the hook. All the others were hooked right in the corner of the mouth. They were not the El Cap monsters of the past but a steady stream of two pound chunky bass that were willing to play. The bites were vicious and as soon as you set the hook the line would dart straight up and the fish would blast out of the water. They were just jumpers. Some four or five times. A lot of fun and not another boat around. As the sun went down behind the hills we headed over to the launch ramp and fished out the rest of the Shiners. We scored a bonus 4 more fish, one around four pounds. Tough on the light sticks. My day ended with a fish that ran under the motor and broke off. No problem because I was done. Boat back on the trailer, another adventure completed. No fish from 6 am until 2 pm. Then 17 bass and 1 big Crappie landed between 2 and sunset. Where next ?