Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. Bay Trip 2/27

Default S.W.A.T. Bay Trip 2/27

I was invited out by a good friend that fished last week & asked me to join him this past Friday. We fished 3 areas all morning and the spotties were chewing. I had forgotten how much fun this type of fishing can be when they want to chew! Ghost shrimp colors on 1/4 ounce was the hot ticket. A whole bunch of spotties a few sandy's & 3 short butts.

A first for me, reeling in a short spottie and my buddy and I see a brown flash below the fish? We 1st thought it was a seal. Turned out to be a big butt that followed the spottie to the boat. Threw the reel out of gear to see if she would eat it, but she sank out....that butt was a pig! Crazy stuff.....

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	45876Click image for larger version. 

Views:	259 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	45877Click image for larger version. 

Views:	256 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	45878

Quote Originally Posted by remington View Post
    I was invited out by a good friend that fished last week & asked me to join him this past Friday. We fished 3 areas all morning and the spotties were chewing. I had forgotten how much fun this type of fishing can be when they want to chew! Ghost shrimp colors on 1/4 ounce was the hot ticket. A whole bunch of spotties a few sandy's & 3 short butts.

A first for me, reeling in a short spottie and my buddy and I see a brown flash below the fish? We 1st thought it was a seal. Turned out to be a big butt that followed the spottie to the boat. Threw the reel out of gear to see if she would eat it, but she sank out....that butt was a pig! Crazy stuff.....

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Views:	266 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	45876Click image for larger version. 

Views:	259 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	45877Click image for larger version. 

Views:	256 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	45878
    Hey Remington thanx for the report ! That's quite an experience seeing a doormat chase a spottie ? Thats insane ! That's another piece of evidence those big lazy butts want BIG BAIT!

Thanks Edgar! Yeah, we fished that spot hard right after trying to get that big girl to go, but she wanted nothing to do with with the 3" plastic? We packed light knowing we were going to pitch docks with plastic all morning, but I did bring 1 crank stick as I love tossing the square bills too! They wanted nothing to do with the crank & I gave up on it early. Next time I'm bringing some big *** MC's that I love throwing at calico's to see what happens? I would recommend to anyone hitting the bay in the near future throw the big stuff in dark patterns as the surf has been void of any big halibut lately, why not try for the big girls in the bay?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by remington View Post
    Thanks Edgar! Yeah, we fished that spot hard right after trying to get that big girl to go, but she wanted nothing to do with with the 3" plastic? We packed light knowing we were going to pitch docks with plastic all morning, but I did bring 1 crank stick as I love tossing the square bills too! They wanted nothing to do with the crank & I gave up on it early. Next time I'm bringing some big *** MC's that I love throwing at calico's to see what happens? I would recommend to anyone hitting the bay in the near future throw the big stuff in dark patterns as the surf has been void of any big halibut lately, why not try for the big girls in the bay?

Good luck!
    Almost every time I come across one of our bays , I'm always tempted to throw at least 4 inch plastics, I have caught a few legal halibut in Newport bay back when my parents used to live in the US , my dad had a thing for fishing bays, and I have seen 1 really big one Id say upper 30lb range from newport on a 3".
    Hope you lay the wood to that big girl soon as I have a feeling you"re gonna go back for her��.

Good luck ! Tight lines

Looks like fun out there Remington.
    Interesting to know that hali's go after such big targets, I guess the bigger the bait the bigger the fish eh?
    Gona have to give those 8inch swinbaits a shot.

Heck of a day out there Kelly! Too bad the big girl didn't want to come back and play...sounds like she was lookin for a big meal. Hope to get back in the surf with you again soon!

Don

WOW!!

Great times and great stories too! Ya can't beat that!

Thanx for the nice read my friend.

SP Dan ~~~ <"))>< ~~~ "The Danimal"
    Last edited by SP Dan; 03-04-2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: sp

That's a awesome sight to see.
    Thanks for sharing.

Great report! It would have been sweet to get that Hali like that.

Hey brother Kelly:

Sounds like a nice bay outing you partook of. Glad you got some action and at least got to feel the thrill of a brown "boogie board" sighting

I hope to hit the sands with you this season sometime!

Take care,

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast