Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing in SB/SG mountains?

Default Fishing in SB/SG mountains?

Anyone been up in the mountains recently to fish the streams? I'm just curious on the conditions and if anyone has had any luck recently on getting some good sized trout. No need to give specific locations(obviously 😎).

Waters in both ranges are extremely low with creeks averaging 20% of normal flows. Silt build up has filled in many of the pools and runs leaving skinny water that warms up quickly when the temps rise. There has been some relief from the minimal rain and snow but we are still in a four year drought. Very few waters getting stocked and the stocked fish are smaller then before. If you want big fish...the early opener is happening in Lone Pine area and the Owens River has been fishing well consistently. Even up there...water levels are at record lows.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Silt build up has filled in many of the pools and runs leaving skinny water that warms up quickly when the temps rise. There has been some relief from the minimal rain and snow ...
    I think that's the biggest problem I've seen. The first 'real' rainstorm of the season made things worse. I scouted the stream afterwards and there were new braids in the riverbed and the pools that existed were now sand traps.

I realize that subsequent storms should have alleviated those conditions and pulled the silt further downstream, but none of those have really happened.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Waters in both ranges are extremely low with creeks averaging 20% of normal flows. Silt build up has filled in many of the pools and runs leaving skinny water that warms up quickly when the temps rise. There has been some relief from the minimal rain and snow but we are still in a four year drought. Very few waters getting stocked and the stocked fish are smaller then before. If you want big fish...the early opener is happening in Lone Pine area and the Owens River has been fishing well consistently. Even up there...water levels are at record lows.
    Yes, lots of sand and silt. I have a little video coming up to show this soon. Water looks good, but it's rushing too fast, not collecting in the pools--all the pools are silted over. Going to be another tough one for those little trout, few that remain.