Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2/20/15 King Harbor with a mystery fish?

Default 2/20/15 King Harbor with a mystery fish?

Hey guys, sorry I couldn't get this out earlier but I was I was sick all weekend and felt like crap. I went out friday night with my friend and we got a lot of fish. There were calicos, sandbass, sculpin, and some weird mystery fish. The fishing was kinda slow to start out with but it picked up when the sun began to set. At our first area I got a calico and 2 sandbass and my friend got 1 sandbass. As we were working or way down we kept getting calicos and then I see a fish dart out of the rocks that looks pretty nice. I pull it up and its nice sculpin. That's one I haven't caught in a while. We got across a ways and fish our way down and I manage to get a 2 calicos and my friend got 1. Once that area stopped producing we moved all the way across the harbor to my favorite spot I think. First 5 casts we have 2 fish for my friend and 1 for me. About 20 minutes before I have to go I feel terrible and have to sit down. I take one last cast and manage a calico. My friend got this mystery fish and a small fluke. It is the last photo in the link I will put in. Some type of perch, 7 11? I was using a big hammer 3 inch creeping death and my friend was using big hammers and a small fluke. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/4j5Os3a,HfUaSqn,UZ8...UpdVyr,mH3jhLc

I have seen those in several harbors around SoCal, I have always just called them shinner perch but in sure they have another name.

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    I have seen those in several harbors around SoCal, I have always just called them shinner perch but in sure they have another name.
    Okay I thought it was a 7/11 perch it could be what you said.

I've also heard them called "bank perch " don't worry someone will give us the correct I D soon,sounds like a good outing you're getting that area wired,hope you're feeling better.

Cya Tuna Vic

Walleye perch

Nice catching...it's tough to tell what kind of perch that is with the fuzzy pic, there's more than one type of whitish surfperch...check this link to see if it helps.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...17&inline=true

Shiner perch. I've caught a bunch amongst the opaleyes in King Harbor. They don't get too big from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    I've also heard them called "bank perch " don't worry someone will give us the correct I D soon,sounds like a good outing you're getting that area wired,hope you're feeling better.

Cya Tuna Vic
    Thanks man Im still out and its Wednesday so Im not feeling too well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Nice catching...it's tough to tell what kind of perch that is with the fuzzy pic, there's more than one type of whitish surfperch...check this link to see if it helps.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...17&inline=true
    Yeah it looksthat way but I saw more feint dotted black lines when I caught it. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Shiner perch. I've caught a bunch amongst the opaleyes in King Harbor. They don't get too big from what I understand.
    Hmmm I ve never caught one when fishing for opal eye but I dont fish for them often either. Thanks for the id!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast