Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best bait for trout fishing at guasti

Ela is right about the line. I use 6 lb for trolling, 4 lb for casting lures made of metal (Thomas buoyant, kastmaster. Phoebe, super duper, etc) and 2 lb with plastics, dough baits, and worms. If you only got 2 rods the go with 4 lb. Catfish aren't line shy and 10 lb isn't So bad but trout are very line shy. In a pinch you can buy some 2 or 4 lb fluorocarbon and tie on to your heavier line. Personally I fish a lot so I buy 1/4 lb spools and change my line every week or two.
    If you decide to take a break and put baits on both rods then give the reel handle a turn or 2 every minute (it's called a "slow troll").

I always used to do really well there on inflated night crawlers so they float up off the bottom. Leader length with powerbait can also make a big difference if the bottom is very murky. I think the problem might have not been your bait though. Sometimes it's where you are casting. If you were making long casts that could be the problem. The trout there hold pretty tight to the shoreline. If you bring two rods make two different length of casts. If you only put one rod out try going long then every 15 minutes drag it closer to you by 7 or 8 ft until you find the zone so to speak. Water clarity can also make a huge difference. Chartreuse is the most visible bait for stained water. Also remember that trout prefer the coldest water in the ponds and we have had some really warm days. Finding one of the deeper holes might be just the trick. Of course it goes without saying that a visit there right after a stocking will increase your chances as well. If somebody close to you is catching and you are not pay attention to their leader length, exactly how far out they are casting and what color bait they are using. The locals have it pretty wired. A second rod stamp doesn't cost much. I used to put out one bait setup and then toss a spinner bait like a panther martin in yellow to just past the time while keeping an eye on the bait rig.
    Hope some of this points you in the right direction.

................power-mice........with scent applied...............

I did good on lime green floating garlic power bait at the small lake there a few weeks ago. #14 treble, 2lb test to a swivel @ 14".
    Just enough bait to float the hook and no weight about 20' out.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtrout View Post
    Powerbait is a great bait. Does your license allow you to fish with a 2nd rod? If so set up your 1st rod as you normally would. That will be your "bait and wait" (or soak and sit) rod. Use your 2nd rod as your WORKING rod. With that one you stand and "cast and retrieve" spinners, spoons, plugs, plastics, baits and flies. If your experience is with powerbait (and hopefully worms) then you'll use a light weight like split shot, bullet weight, or a full castabubble. Cast out and then SLOWLY retrieve.like one or two turns each minute. You'll work a lot more water. If you're throwing powerbait (or anything else for that matter) and not getting bit there may be NO FISH in the spot you're fishing!
    If this doesn't work find a NEW LAKE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12