Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bait for trout fishing at guasti

Default Best bait for trout fishing at guasti

Brought my son on his first fishing trip last Saturday (1-14-15) at guasti. We saw people caught some fish except for us. What is the best bait I use, We are planning to go there again this weekend and just wanted my sin to catch at least one fish. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention, we used power bait that comes in a little glass jar that we purchased from big 5 that is supposed to be for trout with weight.

Powerbait is usually a good bait to catch some. Use a size 10 hook and you dont need alot of bait, about the size of a pea should be good. Nightcrawlers under a bobber work good also...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish Addict View Post
    Powerbait is usually a good bait to catch some. Use a size 10 hook and you dont need alot of bait, about the size of a pea should be good. Nightcrawlers under a bobber work good also...
    Kingfish, thank you for your advice/info. We will try your suggestion this weekend.

Make sure to use 2lb or 4lb line max! And have fun with your son...

Had luck there with a swivel, 12" at 2lb leader to a #14 treble with garlic coating power bait.
    The swivel would weight the bait down casting about 15' from shore, flylining almost since you can't cast too far without weight.
    A split shot would work too.
    DR
    Last edited by DockRat; 02-18-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ela View Post
    Make sure to use 2lb or 4lb line max! And have fun with your son...
    ela, didn't know that the line makes the difference. I believe our line is 8 or 10 lbs, but I will change it as you'd suggested. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Had luck there with a swivel, 12" at 2lb leader to a #14 treble with garlic coating power bait.
    The swivel would weight the bait down casting about 15' from shore, flylining almost since you can't cast too far without weight.
    A split shot would work too.
    DR
    I have read of the garlic coating power bait last night matter of fact and will try that this weekend. thank you.

Powerbait is a great bait. Does your license allow you to fish with a 2nd rod? If so set up your 1st rod as you normally would. That will be your "bait and wait" (or soak and sit) rod. Use your 2nd rod as your WORKING rod. With that one you stand and "cast and retrieve" spinners, spoons, plugs, plastics, baits and flies. If your experience is with powerbait (and hopefully worms) then you'll use a light weight like split shot, bullet weight, or a full castabubble. Cast out and then SLOWLY retrieve.like one or two turns each minute. You'll work a lot more water. If you're throwing powerbait (or anything else for that matter) and not getting bit there may be NO FISH in the spot you're fishing!
    Last edited by sandtrout; 02-18-2015 at 07:37 PM.

I will need to check if my license allows me to use 2 rods, thanks sandtrout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast