Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: The trout are still licking at LNL.

Default The trout are still licking at LNL.

It's been a few weeks since I last went to LNL. I was hearing good things about the lake, other then they missed a stock a couple of weeks ago. Even though I have enjoyed all the pay lakes over the years, I'll stick with who ever is stocking the best and whose fish are the most cooperative. (Which now is Laguna Niguel lake) LNL does have several advantages over the other pay lakes and one disadvantage which I will get too in a minute. One of the advantages you get there, "is they stock those nice Tailwalkers every time." Today's count was 14 nice Tailwalkers with almost all of them over 2 lbs and up to 4 lbs and very hard fighting!!!!!! The other nice thing, they do allow C&R with artificial baits if you're in a float tube or boat. The one bad thing is, they don't guarantee they will stock rain or shine. So it is up to the individual to ask or look up their stocking schedule. (you shouldn't be sniffling after the fact, if you didn't do your due diligence on checking their stocking schedule)

The other nice thing about LNL for us, you don't have to guess what their biting on every week. This is the same standard rig which has worked great for us for the last 3 years. A mice tail on a number 8 mosquito hook, with a 6-8 inch leader dipped in Garlic!!!! That's it folks and that will work EVERY TIME!!!!!!! The color will vary by the season and the water clarity. Right now it is all about WHITE!!!!!!! Solid white, pink & white or white with a pink head. (the white with a pink head being my favorite) That's been the hot color all season!!!!!! The best locations this year has been the same 4 spots!!! If you're on the shore (boat also!!) zone 1 and zone 4 by the float tube ramp have been the best. The other two spots that have produced consistently can only accessed by a boat or float tube. That's in between the two bubbles by the boat dock or the 3 pipes area. That's not to say you can't catch fish in the other spots. However, if you want to be the top boat 90% of the time like we are, you will fishing those spots hard!!!! lol Now with all the information that you were just given, where do you think we started?????

If you guessed the float tube ramp area, "YOU WIN A CUPID DOLL!!!!" In facing the shore (in a boat) we were just to the right of the float tube ramp, almost in front of the picnic table on the shore. We both had White power mice on casting towards the shore. We started getting bit about 7:00 am and we had our limits by 9:00 am. The problem we ran into was, even though we were playing by the rules of artificials only and C&R our fish without even touching them. That still whizzed off a bunch of the shore fishermen!!!!! Even though they were catching too, they complained to one of the employees about us jacking all the fish they were about to catch!!!!! So we moved off of that spot and went to the 3 pipes area. No sooner then we got anchored down, an employee came over in his gas powered boat right on top of where we were fishing, to ask us some stupid question that made no sense at all. Since we are only in 3-4 feet of water that wrecked that spot!!!! We fished a couple of other spots for a couple more fish and called it an early day!!!! We caught a total of 14 fish. (nice ones too!!!) I would recommend LNL to anyone right now, if you get there early and fish it correctly!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-13-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Power mice are bait, they are not artifical lures especially when you dip it in garlic, you shouldn't be releasing those fish...

Quote Originally Posted by jig fish View Post
    Power mice are bait, they are not artifical lures especially when you dip it in garlic, you shouldn't be releasing those fish...
    That's getting real technical!!!! If you want to play lawyer, "I'm pretty good"!!!! lol The rules say if you want to release fish you must use artificial lures or jigs with barbless hooks!!!!! (that's an exact quote from their web site) So where do fly fishermen come in who are technical fishing with a bobber and not moving their offering????? What if a fly fishermen puts scent on his fly and doesn't move it, is this now bait???????? What's the difference in a moving plastic crappie style lure to attract a trout and a moving mice tail for the same purpose????? Their both made out of plastic and both of them would be considered artificial!!!! Or what if a person adds scent to his crappie type lure, does that now make it bait???? (Which I've seen people do a million times) What if you add scent to your crappie style lure and cast it out but not retrieve it. (dead sticking it) is this now bait?????? What about power worms?????? I've drop shoted them a million times are they a lure or bait. If their a lure (which I think most people would agree they are) if you stop moving them are they now considered bait???? What if you took a crappie style lure and added pieces or a whole power worm to it, is this a bait or lure????? What about adding scent or moving it or not moving it, when or if does this become bait or not???? What's the difference between a crappie style lure with a power worm attached to it or a mice tail????? A mice tail is just a power worm with a plastic salmon egg head, not much different from your crappie style lure with a power worm attached!!!! Or is by adding the garlic or any other scent the key to their transformation from a lure to a bait!!!! If that's the case they need to ban garlic or any other scent from anyone who is fishing a jig or artificial lure and plans on C&R their fish!!!! (if they did do that they would cost the lake a lot of money, for they sell a ton of that stuff there!!!) This is a very slippery slope when it comes to definitions!!!! Look if the management declares mice tails bait, I'll follow the rules. So far I've never seen it posted or heard it said by Rick the owner. Can you see WHY???? By the way, where did you get your law degree from????? lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-17-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Nice report buddy!
    I am heading out there tomorrow and thanks for the Intel

Jig fish, you're better off not even trying to argue with etucker LOL. Etucker is completely right here btw

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Jig fish, you're better off not even trying to argue with etucker LOL. Etucker is completely right here btw
    Seal, did you hear that!!!!!!!!! Someone besides me, thinks I'm not insane!!!!!!! lol lol lol