Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Reel repair

Default Reel repair

I have a Calcutta 400 that the casting and level wind will not ingage is there a repair center on the WESTSIDE that I can take this to ?

not sure if you make it out there, but shimano has its hq located in Irvine....gluck

if you took it apart to lube it the side case and body have to be in sinc in free spool or engaged i forget witch but if it just dosnt work any more take it in some thing may be broken there are some tiny e clips in there and if one went bye bye that what will happen

if you previously took the sideplate off, or if the sideplate thumbscrews came loose, it could just be religning the trip on the inside of the sideplate with the one on the frame. once they are aligned the reel will go in and out of gear and everything should work fine. if these are not aigned you will have problems similar to those that u are having. if this doesnt work you might have something more seriously wrong with the reel. a stripped worm or pawl, or maybe a stripped or cracked levelwind drive gear inside the reel

If it's an older reel I'll put money on it it's the pawl and or worm gear. It's a pretty easy and cheap fix if you do it yourself, I've repaired 5 of my own reels. Not sure about Shimano but most reels when bought new come with a schematic of how to disassemble the reel and a parts list. Good luck...