Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sunday, February 8

Default Sunday, February 8

I figured all those folks fishing Saturday's tournament had the fish pretty spooky so Sunday would be a good day to hit the River Lakes. Didn't make it to the gate until 9:00 and paid the price as someone, actually two someones, had Marley's Secret Spot securely in their custody. No way for me to stick my nose into their business without being totally rude so I had to settle for Plan A 1/2. The boat hadn't really settled in yet when I was on the fist fish of the day, albeit a scrappy 3/4-poundish largemouth. Must have seen the half 'crawler falling as it was an instant bite. I would ultimately C&R several of these little guys, all on the half 'crawler.
    First trout came on the designer, blown mealworm slowly retrieved back to the boat. Went over an hour for my second fish, this one coming on the half 'crawler. The bite for me picked up when I shortened the leader to 10" instead of 16"-18". Broke off what would be my only lightning trout of the day, what looked to be a solid 2-pounder. I must be rusty because I let it get wrapped up in my second line. Burned it off right at the boat.
    Filled the rest of the limit by day's end, taking in the fine Sunday and the friendly waters of Santa Ana River Lakes. Off the water as the lake was being closed, baked trout for dinner hit the table at 6:00.
    Fish for me today all came on the half 'crawler, blown up and oiled with Pro Cure Garlic Oil with the exception of the first, it coming on the blown up and jigged mealworm. Even the bass wanted the nightcrawler.
    My company stayed the entire day so I never got to park on the button. They were only using plastics and were putting on a clinic. One was drop-shotting worms, the other was straightlining jigs. While I had no trouble getting bit on the deadstick 'crawler, these two had to trouble at all getting bit on the moving artificials.
    From all indications, there is a boatload of fish there to be caught so now is the time. Good luck!

edit: spelling
    Last edited by Marley; 02-09-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Nice as i read your reports i get itchy to throw out a blown nightcrawler just for the fact that you put on a clinic with that set up
    Next time i will try your set up and lets see how it goes
    Good job out there

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    I figured all those folks fishing Saturday's tournament had the fish pretty spooky so Sunday would be a good day to hit the River Lakes. Didn't make it to the gate until 9:00 and paid the price as someone, actually two someones, had Marley's Secret Spot securely in their custody. No way for me to stick my nose into their business without being totally rude so I had to settle for Plan A 1/2. The boat hadn't really settled in yet when I was on the fist fish of the day, albeit a scrappy 3/4-poundish largemouth. Must have seen the half 'crawler falling as it was an instant bite. I would ultimately C&R several of these little guys, all on the half 'crawler.
    First trout came on the designer, blown mealworm slowly retrieved back to the boat. Went over an hour for my second fish, this one coming on the half 'crawler. The bite for me picked up when I shortened the leader to 10" instead of 16"-18". Broke off what would be my only lightning trout of the day, what looked to be a solid 2-pounder. I must be rusty because I let it get wrapped up in my second line. Burned it off right at the boat.
    Filled the rest of the limit by day's end, taking in the fine Sunday and the friendly waters of Santa Ana River Lakes. Off the water as the lake was being closed, baked trout for dinner hit the table at 6:00.
    Fish for me today all came on the half 'crawler, blown up and oiled with Pro Cure Garlic Oil with the exception of the first, it coming on the blown up and jigged mealworm. Even the bass wanted the nightcrawler.
    My company stayed the entire day so I never got to park on the button. They were only using plastics and were putting on a clinic. One was drop-shotting worms, the other was straightlining jigs. While I had no trouble getting bit on the deadstick 'crawler, these two had to trouble at all getting bit on the moving artificials.
    From all indications, there is a boatload of fish there to be caught so now is the time. Good luck!

Nice report!!!! I've been slowly talking myself in to wanting to go soon!!!! lol Just for fun, if one boat was siting on fish all day and catching. They must have been C&R fish, which is a big NO NO!!!!! I only say that, not to start trouble. But to encourage others to do what I use to do. If I had those things dialed in and I was limited out. I would find someone on the shore who was having a tough day and invite them to fish in my boat. We once had a line of kids at the boat dock area, all waiting to be taken fishing. That was a lot more fun then catching a limit of trout!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Nice report!!!! I've been slowly talking myself in to wanting to go soon!!!! lol Just for fun, if one boat was siting on fish all day and catching. They must have been C&R fish, which is a big NO NO!!!!! I only say that, not to start trouble. But to encourage others to do what I use to do. If I had those things dialed in and I was limited out. I would find someone on the shore who was having a tough day and invite them to fish in my boat. We once had a line of kids at the boat dock area, all waiting to be taken fishing. That was a lot more fun then catching a limit of trout!!!!
    NO C&R ON THE TROUT!!! (but hopefully on the bass ) Tough call when you don't know for sure but they each left the spot one at a time and went to the docks so I assume they bought more passes. I almost always call in a boat to my spot and hang around to get them hooked up, and try to see one with kids. Would have done the same thing Sunday but time didn't allow and the only boat with kids was throwing everything they had as close to my boat as they could cast. Not really looking to help that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    Nice as i read your reports i get itchy to throw out a blown nightcrawler just for the fact that you put on a clinic with that set up
    Next time i will try your set up and lets see how it goes
    Good job out there
    Thanks T-rex. Scratch that itch and toss some garden hackle!

Nice going Marley!

TD

I will definitely take some nightcrawlers next outing
    Keep those reports coming buddy
    Thanks T-rex. Scratch that itch and toss some garden hackle!

As always, excellent and informative report Marley.
    Thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinglakes.com View Post
    As always, excellent and informative report Marley.
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Thanks Craig! Been fishing with you guys almost since opening day. What, 35 years ago? It's a magic and nostalgic place and always feels like coming home when I drive through the gate. I remember the first fish I ever caught there, actually two of them late that day. Over at the old spillway. Totally ticked off a man and his wife by asking too many questions but they were catching fish and I needed to. Their answers were enough to figure things out and I've been hooked ever since. Caught those first two fish on a blown up half nightcrawler.