Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time towing a boat

1. Default

drive in the slow lane please

most lakes have a staging or prep area.if not pull over on side prior to launch .. load up unstrap and get ready to dump.... its courtesy for the others behind u not to hold up the dam line cuz u not ready , boat doesnt turn start or u think the ramp is a parking spot for u while u get all the kids /gear in...

All great replys , one thing I was taught when backing "go with the problem " if the boat goes one way follow it with the steering wheel . When putting the boat back on the trailer make sure to leave the running boards exposed a little . If you sink the trailer to low you'll never get it on straight . I've seen this a lot when launching at shelter island.
    Last edited by Stray Cat; 02-04-2015 at 04:41 PM.

All good tips posted above, here's a couple from me:
    Don't worry about lineup at Irvine, get there around 7 and have no line to wait in, and no line at the ramp.
    Before you leave, make sure your bearings are properly greased. Cooking a bearing on the freeway is a crappy way to start your day of recreation.
    Also, DON'T disconnect your winch line UNTIL you get your boat in the water. I have seen a few people unhook theirs before backing down the ramp, have to hit the brakes while backing down, and have their boat go sliding off the trailer and have the motor hit the concrete. OUCH!
    Have your dock bumpers figured out before you get there, so you don't scrape up the side of your boat when you tie up to the dock.
    Have a great trip!

dnt let this happen........ even causes fatalities on freeways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja26V_XmNLM

All great tips guys! A little thing I tell people when backing up your trailer is whatever way your front end is going is the way your boat/trailer are. Take it slow and you will be fine. Soon it will be a piece of cake...

When backing down, if the boat is not going where you want it to, simply pull forward and straighten it out. Make sure you have a long rope tide to the front of the boat and to your bumper. We wouldn't want the boat to float away from you when it comes off the trailer!!! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12