Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time towing a boat

Default First time towing a boat

Hello all, any tips for a first time boat towing. Will be heading out to Irvine Lake on Friday morning with a 15' boat. The boat has a mercury 9.9 HP motor just FYI. Also any fishing tips would be greatly appreciated.

Run through this checklist before you leave EVERY time:

Check lock pin at ball hitch
    Check locking crank winch
    Check Tie Downs
    If you have a motor mount, make sure its on and locked in
    check tires and spare
    Check inside of boat for things you may have left that might fly out when you leave early.
    Make sure your drain plug is accounted for

you're good to go.

As far as Irvine...forget that mudhole and go to Perris or Silverwood
    Last edited by Stormcrow; 02-04-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by georatm View Post
    first time boat towing.
    Have to ask......If this is your first time towing, will it also be your first time backing a trailer down a ramp (or backing any trailer for any type distance for that matter)?

If so, please do yourself a favor and hook up the boat. Go find a vacant parking lot (after hours commercial buildings are good) and work on backing up in a straight line. That'll save yourself about an hour of embarrassment at the launch ramp. I've alway found looking at the trailer's tires through my side mirrors has been easier then looking over my shoulder while backing. If your tires start swaying to the left IN YOUR SIDE MIRROR, then make a very slight correction with the steering wheel to the left and the trailer will straighten. Obviously, if the trailer starts swinging to the right slightly turn your wheel to the right to straighten out.

Good luck.

We disconnect the gas line and run any gas inside the engine before we head home for the day. It prevents the carburetor jets from getting clogged if you're going to store it for a while, on a 2 stroke engine.

Make sure you check the trailer lights too.

Don't forget that the added longer overall length of your tow vehicle and boat will require a wider turn and longer separation distance when lane changing on the road.

safety like the guys mentioned!! tow in furtherest lane possible.. #1 lane can get u a ticket by po po or local chp.dont be the jackass like the uhaul ur ups trucks that use the carpool lanes!! ...speed restrictions as posted . take ur time... ; prop up while at ramp and leaving ramp !! seeen many a motor scrape the bottom.. if ur not familiar with reverse , tip i learned: place hand on bottom of steering wheel loook back , point in the direction u wanna go........gud luck and catch a few!!!!

also safety chain and lock.... ; if attaching boat to truck put trailer jack back to stow posititon...(horizontal to frame n spring lockd) . i always forgot this and would scape till i found it still down

Pending on how often and towing distance, trailer maintenance IS A MUST. Lights, chains with closing hooks, tires and wheel bearings should be checked every time before getting on the road.
    Then you'll feel safe that your boat will get there and have a fun trip.
    Enjoy
    TTFM

Practice backing and DON'T SPEED! Your limit is 55, but go slower to get used to the feel. You ARE a granny the first couple of times out.

make sure drain plug is in and start boat at home so u have no starting problems at the ramp.ist time I backed up u could have made a great funny video.get there late so there is no pressure,good luck to being a boat owner--lololol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast