Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California Statistics Show Hunter Declines

Default California Statistics Show Hunter Declines

State figures show the drop. In 1970, there were 700,000 hunters. Last year, there were 250,000, about a 70 percent decline...

In California, hunting advocates say sportsmen are being driven out of the state because of mounting gun laws, like the one that requires steel bullets instead of lead...

Then there is the debate about how much wildlife exists for hunters in California. Regulators say fire, drought and new housing tracts have depleted populations. The hunting industry wants a survey, an actual count to gauge the health of wildlife and their habitat.
    http://abc7.com/news/california-stat...ecline/494016/

What say you?

Everything is expensive. Just wait til 2019 when the whole state is going to be lead free. Lead free ammo is Expensive. A box of 20 lead rifle cartridges is 20-30$. And a box of lead free is $50+

Hunting isn't for the weak of heart.

I say 1970 there were 450000 more outdoorsman than today.

My 2 cents

that and the internet has changed people... sitting behind the computer and not getting out and doing anything.

No surprise considering the ever increasing Ammo & licensing fees. Didn't seem to affect the number of public Waterfowl hunters at the Salton Sea this season. Average cost for box of steel shells is around 16.00 if you can find them, lol.

Wonder how the statistics from around the country stack up.

My depression-era grandfathers hunted and fished as a means of sustenance - the idea of "sport" was secondary. I'd hazard to say there were many more gentlemen of that generation afield in 1970 than there are today. Far fewer folks today actually feel the need to hunt (or fish) to put meat on the table.

Good point C-Dad. Hunting in the Midwest & Texas is still alive & well. Some people still enjoy the outdoors and having the opportunity to harvest organic meat. Others prefer their game pre-packaged from their local market, lol.

I've been trying to get a hunting license for a while now , real pain in the ***. Work keeps getting in the way . I still can't get a straight answer if I can hunt beaver. Nothing ruins a good night fishing spot like pissed off beaver.

LOL, you must complete and pass a California hunter safety course before purchasing a hunting license. Always wear protection while hunting beaver, lol.
    Last edited by Webfoot; 01-28-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    I still can't get a straight answer if I can hunt beaver.
    You need a license for that?

I thought all you neeed was a few strong drinks, a bar bathroom, and a willing participant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast