Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All crappie look alike

Default All crappie look alike

My brother and his wife are coming in from Wyoming next week and suggested we have crappie one night for supper. I have no doubt that we will catch some while he is here, but not being one to leave things to chance and not wanting to spend time cleaning fish while company here, I kept the first four I caught this morning. They are now safely vacuum packed and in the freezer.

I have this well-documented problem in that all crappie look alike to me. I do a good job estimating bass of all sizes, but I need to re-calibrate my mental crappie scale occasionally. I decided to do that with the four I kept before I fileted them. Hard to learn much though when they are all the same size. These four ranged from 15" to 15½".

OK, then let's weigh them. Well, that didn't help much either. The smallest was 1 lb 15 oz, two were 2 lbs even, and this guy took big fish honors.

Now maybe you will agree with me. All crappie do look alike. I'm pretty sure I caught some larger ones later in the morning, but who knows, since they all look alike.

Fishing tales told here - some true.
    The best of Fishbreath
    Last edited by Fishbreath; 01-19-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Nice. Good to hear someone is catching some winter crappies. I've been wanting to know where to get some in winter but I have no idea where to even start to look.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Tom; 01-25-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Nice looking crappie!! Anything over two
    Is a slab for me!!! Just one thing don't
    Forget about catch and release! LOL..
    Nice job Larrry,,

Cm

I usually wind up fishing for crappie more in the wintertime than any other time of year. They are plenty active now, and during the winter I seem to be able to take more time away from the other types of fishing I enjoy.

Hi, Mike. I mostly catch and release. My last three trips I caught 145 crappie and kept four. I usually keep about two a month.
    Last edited by Fishbreath; 01-19-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
    I usually wind up fishing for crappie more in the wintertime than any other time of year. They are plenty active now, and I seem to be able to take more time away from the other types of fishing I enjoy during the winter.

Hi, Mike. I mostly catch and release. My last three trips I caught 145 crappie and kept four. I usually keep about two a month.

I know , just teasing---
    Ya I like this time of
    Year and the summer
    Months.....

Cm

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Under the Docks at lake Perris launch ramp I thought it was a HUGE crappie that tried to eat your trout the other day?? LOL
    LOl that was my swimbait.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
    I usually wind up fishing for crappie more in the wintertime than any other time of year. They are plenty active now, and during the winter I seem to be able to take more time away from the other types of fishing I enjoy.

I have to get off my *** now and go find a winter crappie spot. I have a spring, summer, and fall but not winter yet.

Here is a bonus picture from today. This guy was not invited to dinner. Don't be misled. Most crappie recently have been caught on jigs or underspins, but sometimes I like to mix it up just for the variety.

Nice fish! I have never caught a Crappie that big! Biggest I ever caught out of Big Bear was 12" That was the biggest lol, thanks for sharing. that's some good eating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast