Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown trout

Quote Originally Posted by Dsrt Tortise View Post
    I watched DVL being built from the start. Having driven several hundred truck loads of earth out of it and dumped it . This was one of the largest jobs of its kind that I have ever worked on before my retirement.
    Seeing the lake from its start with a tiny brood pond in the deep west end of the impoundment there were hundreds of fish structure sites all over the lake. On the sides and all over the bottom,the whole lake was designed as a fish magnet by Mike Guisti. This is the only lake in the southland made just for fishing and not for other types of water sports in mind. It was hard enough to get the MWD to allow it open for public fishing use to begin with!!! I am not a biologist and know little about if Brown Trout can breed and reproduce successfully in this lake but they do in many lakes around the Country and the World. I think that given a chance say seven years they should be a C&R fish in the lake. Is everybody so fish hungry to give them a chance in the lake?

Dsrt Tortise
    Lake stratification and predation by Striper do most of the damage. Yes there is lot's of rock structure and some man made structure but that means nothing when there is no oxygen below the thermocline in the summer...

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    Lake stratification and predation by Striper do most of the damage. Yes there is lot's of rock structure and some man made structure but that means nothing when there is no oxygen below the thermocline in the summer...
    yahtzee!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    yahtzee!!!!
    So then why the stocks if the "lake conditions" don't merit them?

put and take like every other lake in SoCal.

put and take like every other lake in SoCal.
    Has there every been any kind of study of the percentage of take vs stocked. If so how does that compare to other body's of water?

Do people know what location of the lake they stock the browns?

How big are they?

Has anybody here on FNN caught any?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Do people know what location of the lake they stock the browns?

How big are they?

Has anybody here on FNN caught any?
    Yes, there are several places they are stocked around the lake but it's up to Kwin which place gets stocked on a certain day. I haven't caught any but I don't target them, but I have watched guys catch them wishing I had brought my Trout gear because Bass fishing was such a grind those days. Now all I need is a Brownie swim-bait...

yahtzee!!!!

Lol, oh geez I haven't played that game in years...

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Has there every been any kind of study of the percentage of take vs stocked. If so how does that compare to other body's of water?
    2014--4500 anglers surveyed, 120 targeted trout...ALL trout. 13 browns reported kept, none reported released.
    2013--5177 " ", 210 " ". 7 kept, 3 released.
    2012--7241 " ", 405 " ", 66 caught (don't distinguish between caught and released)

I can only go by what people say in the creel interviews, though I know some of it is probably BS. Either people are untruthful about what they are trying to catch, or they don't target trout.

I remember the old days when I saw wolf packs of LMB pinning up a small school of browns near the back dirt launch ramp area. They didn't look very big if I remember. Maybe 12-14 inches

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast