Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown trout

Default Brown trout

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it legal to catch and keep BROWN TROUT at DVL. I was always under the impression that they were a catch and release fish at the lake. I ask this only because on the cover of WON this week is a photo of a angler holding a nice pair of browns. Further more in the paper there is a article that reads that the person in the photo and his friend caught over 40 browns and kept a limit of these trout. I'm not putting these guy's down I just want to know if it's LEGAL to keep these fish??

Thanks

DSRT TORTISE

No C&R rule on brown's at DVL, 5 fish limit.

^x2. Browns can be kept at DVL.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    No C&R rule on brown's at DVL, 5 fish limit.
    If DVL is trying to establish a sustainable fishery for Browns, why would they have a limit?

Kwin?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    If DVL is trying to establish a sustainable fishery for Browns, why would they have a limit?

Kwin?
    Either the anglers get them first or the stripers and largemouth will. Lack of creek inlets hurts DVL when it comes to places for the trout to hide, they may say there is enough structure but natural inlets to me are a better source for creating a good holdover trout population when predators are present.

Having fished DVL this year with the low water level and the gin clear water my eyes have been opened and opened wide. Looking at areas above the current water line that were below water a year ago not a lot of habitat and structure to hide in. Looking down into the water it is mostly a barren wasteland with very little structure. I also would have expected to see more man made structure than you see. Not a lot of places for fry or any fish for that matter to seek refuge from predators.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    they may say there is enough structure but natural inlets to me are a better source for creating a good holdover trout population when predators are present.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    I also would have expected to see more man made structure than you see. Not a lot of places for fry or any fish for that matter to seek refuge from predators.
    And yet, candy bar browns keep getting stocked?

If this was the case, why are DFG biologists still thumbs upping the stock of browns in an area where the water level will affect predation rates?

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Having fished DVL this year with the low water level and the gin clear water my eyes have been opened and opened wide. Looking at areas above the current water line that were below water a year ago not a lot of habitat and structure to hide in. Looking down into the water it is mostly a barren wasteland with very little structure. I also would have expected to see more man made structure than you see. Not a lot of places for fry or any fish for that matter to seek refuge from predators.
    I watched DVL being built from the start. Having driven several hundred truck loads of earth out of it and dumped it . This was one of the largest jobs of its kind that I have ever worked on before my retirement.
    Seeing the lake from its start with a tiny brood pond in the deep west end of the impoundment there were hundreds of fish structure sites all over the lake. On the sides and all over the bottom,the whole lake was designed as a fish magnet by Mike Guisti. This is the only lake in the southland made just for fishing and not for other types of water sports in mind. It was hard enough to get the MWD to allow it open for public fishing use to begin with!!! I am not a biologist and know little about if Brown Trout can breed and reproduce successfully in this lake but they do in many lakes around the Country and the World. I think that given a chance say seven years they should be a C&R fish in the lake. Is everybody so fish hungry to give them a chance in the lake?

Dsrt Tortise
    Last edited by Dsrt Tortise; 01-16-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: better more concise wording

I see a lot of that habitat guisti established in the way of limbs wired to cynder blocks or concrete tubes. However, most of this habitat is high and dry now.

The most fun i ever had at dvl when the water was raised and flooded all the built up weed growth. I was pitching and cranking a wacky rigged senko with an ear to ear grin on my face....the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    And yet, candy bar browns keep getting stocked?

If this was the case, why are DFG biologists still thumbs upping the stock of browns in an area where the water level will affect predation rates?
    I thought maybe the browns they were stocking were bigger. I thought i had read that somewhere. None the less, with no wheres to hide any self respecting striper will give eating them a shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast